problem with multicast on new proxmox4

guenter13

Oct 21, 2015
hello,

I'm new on proxmox and tried to install for testing a three node ve cluster (proxmox-ve_4.0-0d8559d0-17.iso)
but multicast (also omping, ssmping) doesn't work, I tried it with 3 different switches:

D-Link DGS-1008D
TP-Link TL-SG1016
FritzBox 7390 directly connected

all 3 server are reachable by hostname, fqdn and ip (also inserted in /etc/hosts)
names get resolved by nslookup

as it didn't work I created 3 VM's (virtualbox)on my PC and tried again-it didn't work with bridge adapter
only after I created a hostonly apapter (vboxnet0) and set all network adapters in promiscuous mode it works

am I doing somewhat wrong or is it normal to set all network adapter for the cluster in promiscuous mode?

thanks for help
guenter

SOHO switches in 99% don't recognize multicast. You should try some L2 switches with multicast support.

SOHO switches in 99% don't recognize multicast. You should try some L2 switches with multicast support.

as I know on unmanaged (SOHO...) switches the multicast will be sent to all ports and will mybe slow down the network but don't block any traffic
at least the multicast become a brodcast, but "multicast is supported"...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!