Problem connecting to Synology nas from a proxmox ubuntu container

Robert Voorn

Dec 21, 2023
I am a noob regarding Proxmox VE but really like what I am seeing right now. Problem is, containers are useless to me if it cannot connect to a shared folder on my Synology NAS. I have found a lot of threads on the forum alrea dy, however, none of the solutions seem to work for me. I am running version 8.0.3 of Proxmox VE.

Steps to reproduce
1. create a ubuntu server container using the ubuntu-23-04 (unprivileged checked)
2. apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y
3. apt install cifs-utils -y
4. mkdir -p /mnt/myShare
5. modify the /etc/fstab to contain the following line

//<nas-ip>/<shareOnMyNas> /mnt/myShare cifs _netdev,username=xxx,password=yyy,iocharset=utf8

After this, when running 'mount -a' it gives the error:

mount: (hint) your fstab has been modified, but systemd still uses
the old version; use 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload.

When I run that command i can access the files on my NAS, but the container will not boot up during reboot. I have found that this has to do with the fstab being replaced with systemd for connecting during startup, but have not found any solution or tutorial explaining how the use systemd for this instead of fstab.

When I do the same steps on a ubuntu 23-04 server container (privileged) I have the same issue. If there is another way to create a link to a Synology share without using fstab (I have found a few with google, but these also did not work for me somehow)

So any help would be much appreciated because otherwise, my Proxmox journey will be a short one.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!