Problem adding new node to cluster

Conacious

Sep 17, 2019
Hi every1,
I've been running a proxmox cluster with 8 nodes without a problem.
I added last node about a month ago without any problem aswell. How ever
when I try to add a new node now ( dont't know if new corosync is the problem) I get the next error.

First I get prompted with the node password, and its added to the known hosts so I have free ssh access.

problemaproxmox.png

Here is the output of the cluster status from i1.

statuspvecm.png

I hope you guys can help me! It's been 2 days with the same error...

Thanks in advance!

do all nodes on the cluster have the latest updates installed?
(compare the outputs of `pveversion -v`)

I hope this helps!

Sorry you were right, the new node I'm trying to add is running on proxmox 6.0-2. So they are incompatible with proxmox 5.4 nodes?

hm - this should work with the latest packages on the 5.x nodes - please post `pveversion -v` from a 5.x node

I don't know if this can cause any problem but we do have a redundant "ring1" net for corosync (configured as a TINC network) in case "ring0" fails. That's because we are using vSwitchs to interconnect machines and we were having issues and loosing packages. So we added a second network using TINC interconnecting all the nodes, having ring0_addr and ring1_addr defined on corosync conf.

Thanks again.

Just checked the code again - with the change of the corosync version the parameter names changed (from ringX to linkX) - while the code can read both corosync.conf files, the REST-API makes no effort to be compatible.
Either set the new node up with PVE 5.4 or upgrade the whole cluster to PVE 6.0

I hope this helps!

Yes thank you! Last question, is there any easy way to downgrade our proxmox 6.0 on a debian buster to 5.4?

Not really - debian's package versioning logic (sensibly) makes it quite hard to downgrade packages - and most packages have a newer version in buster than stretch.
And even if you manage to get the older versions installed in a consistent manner - the downgrade path of all maintainer-scripts are not tested too well.

PVE releases are also tied tightly to the debian-release they're based on (you cannot run PVE 6.x on stretch and PVE 5.x on buster (or at least it's not tested at all, and quite a few binary packages are compiled against the respective shared libs in the fitting debian release))

I hope that helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!