Private networking on PV Cluster across the nodes

zozo

Apr 19, 2014
Hello,

I want to have a proxmox cluster with multiple nodes where the vm's will have two NIC interfaces one for public networking and one for private networking where they are tagged for vlan so that multiple vm's on different vlans would not be able to access each other. All these are working just fine when all vm's are on the same node. However as soon as I migrate one vm out of the node to a different one the private networking would stop working, therefore that vm would not be able to access the other vm's.

Is there any solution for my issue? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

the only thing really is that the network hardware connecting your nodes needs to have all the VLANs youre going to use mapped to the trunking ports that connect to the nodes

Shouldn't openvswitch help in that case, the hosts are VMware machines, which have a special network created for the private networking.

yea openvswitch is a way to implement SDN (software defined networking). you can either use vlans to connect VMs on different nodes or GRE (switch needs to support MTU > 1500)

OK , one cluster support up to 4000 Vlans, which are created on fly as required via API, How would I configure the openvswitch to support the traffic on all those vlans, which would be spread across multiple nodes.

currently my interfaces on a node looks like this:

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet static
address 192.168.23.25
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.22.25
netmask 255.255.255.0

allow-vmbr1 eth3
iface eth3 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.4.6.225
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.4.6.10
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth3

Hello Everyone.. This is my first post... I'm actually looking for the same request like the previous post..

I have 3 nodes in a cluster... physical hosts.. I have

VM1 on Node1
VM2 on Node2
VM3 on Node3
VM4 on Node3

All I want is to have those VMs communicate over private network...

I have created eth3 on each Node and connected 3 ports to same Cisco switch and all of the ports are Trunked to Proxmox..

Could anyone provide me with a sample configuration.. Also how can we take advantage of the VM VLAN tagging option.. I would like to tag a VM1 , VM4 with the same tag to communicate then VM2 , VM3 with another VLAN tag ID...

Thanks in advance..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!