pricing and other dummy questions

dinkohrzica

May 9, 2014
I have 2 cpu server where I have bought 2 cpu licence. To have 2 node HA I need another 2cpu licence I guess?
I do like 2 node HA instead of 3 node HA so can I ?
1. run software raid on 2 node HA?
2. can I deploy 2 more dedicated servers with two node HA and then have proper quorum? or? I am bit confused with 4 dedicated servers both on 2 node HA :)

Thanks a lot for clarification.
Regards!

Hi,
I have 2 cpu server where I have bought 2 cpu licence. To have 2 node HA I need another 2cpu licence I guess?
the license has nothing to do with 2-node-ha - you need for the enterprise repository an subscrition for each cpu socket in the cluster.
If you node 1 has two sockets and your node 2 only one you will need an 2-socket subscrition plus an one-socket-subscrition.
I do like 2 node HA instead of 3 node HA so can I ?
1. run software raid on 2 node HA?
software raid has also nothing to do with 2-node-ha and is not supported by the devs (but some people here use softwareraids).
2. can I deploy 2 more dedicated servers with two node HA and then have proper quorum? or? I am bit confused with 4 dedicated servers both on 2 node HA :)
Thanks a lot for clarification.
Regards!
I don't recommend only two nodes with an cluster - I guess you will run intro trouble (and this first, if you don't need additional trouble, because you have enough if one node die).

Udo

Thanks for all clarification. So 3 nodes is a must. So now I have 2 servers directly connected with 2nd network interface (without a switch). Can I add one more server and connect it in this way:
1 server is connected to internet and directly to server 2
2nd server is directly connected to server 1 and with server 3
3rd server is connected to internet and to server 2 directly

If node 1 fails (where all will be run including ceph) I wish to start all servers on node 3 (can I put it like this?)
Why do I wish to connect servers like that it it becouse I do not wish to use a switch at this time. As those are 1 gbit network cards is it enough for ceph?

Thanksa lot guys :)

theorically, with this setup meant server1 and server3 only can communicate with each other using internet. How fast is your connection speed then? I doubt it to be fast enough since the recommended connection speed is 10gbit network. You should get a gigabit switch and make use of the 2 nics in the servers which could yield 2gbit combined transfer. At least better speed than 1gb and certainly faster than relying on internet connection. Then again, I am a noob myself and commenting based on what I read about ceph so far.

Thanks for all clarification. So 3 nodes is a must. So now I have 2 servers directly connected with 2nd network interface (without a switch). Can I add one more server and connect it in this way:
1 server is connected to internet and directly to server 2
2nd server is directly connected to server 1 and with server 3
3rd server is connected to internet and to server 2 directly

If node 1 fails (where all will be run including ceph) I wish to start all servers on node 3 (can I put it like this?)
Why do I wish to connect servers like that it it becouse I do not wish to use a switch at this time. As those are 1 gbit network cards is it enough for ceph?

Thanksa lot guys :)
Hi,
this setup will not work. In an cluster all nodes must be in one network (multicast) - and all must reach all others.

And the same is with ceph-nodes (here is an second seperate network not bad)

Udo

Without switch you are only able to connect two servers.
thanks a lot for everyone who answered...
well with just 2 node setup is it better to have HA or without HA? Can things go bad if I have just 2 regular nodes?
Like 2 nodes with 2 disks in software radi (I read somewhere that its not recommended not sure why)

thanks a lot for everyone who answered...
well with just 2 node setup is it better to have HA or without HA? Can things go bad if I have just 2 regular nodes?
Like 2 nodes with 2 disks in software radi (I read somewhere that its not recommended not sure why)
Hi,
you can use 2 nodes with drbd-storage (also 2 drbd-ressources - one for each node).

If one node fail, you automaticly lost quorum.
But you can manual reach quorum again (set expected=1) and then move the VM-config from the failed node to the remaining node (like "mv /etc/pve/nodes/FAILEDNODE/qemu-server/* /etc/pve/nodes/RUNNINGNODE/qemu-server/") and start the VMs there.

Udo

Hi,
you can use 2 nodes with drbd-storage (also 2 drbd-ressources - one for each node).

If one node fail, you automaticly lost quorum.
But you can manual reach quorum again (set expected=1) and then move the VM-config from the failed node to the remaining node (like "mv /etc/pve/nodes/FAILEDNODE/qemu-server/* /etc/pve/nodes/RUNNINGNODE/qemu-server/") and start the VMs there.

Udo

Thanks Udo, the thing is everybody cry's do not use 2 node HA...so I am confused is it really a mess or I can easy manually just say=use 2nd node as alive and thats it???
I am not sure if this:
means that I can use HA and not HA vps's inside my 2 nodes/dedicated server?
Again thanks :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!