Predictable network device names = no network access

hendr1x

Dec 14, 2019
I'm trying to install the newest (6.1) version of proxmox and an unable to. My networking interfaces are getting named random names (renameX etc) and not working at all). Frankly I don't know what is going / why I am having this problem. A few days ago I did an install of Centos8 without any issues at all. I am no by no means an linux expert (especially with networking but I have been using it on web servers for 10+ years). I did a fair amount of reading and afaik I need to

Code:
Delete : /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
update-initramfs -u

or

Code:
Create : /etc/systemd/network/10-whatever.link file
and define the adapters but I have no idea how to get the required information to fill out this form

I'm not clear what if either of these is a good option. Unfortunately I can't afford the support subscription. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Unfortunately the only way to access my server is via KVM link (because of these issues) and my datacenter is stringent about setting it up...limiting how long I can have it so I'm not going to be able to answer questions easily/quickly but I'll try my best.

Here is some debug information from before the gui of the install starts :

screenshot.jpg

I've spend another 10+ hours on this with no progress....I don't know how to edit the files required to make networking working

Last edited:
@hendr1x Where you able to fix your problem? You shouldn't be having these problems with a default install, only when you try to remove your interfaces.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!