Power outage kicked my external power connected HDD out.

notKakarot

Jun 17, 2023
Hey guys,

I messed up my install. I should've debugged better before taking some knee-jerk actions. So last night, we had a storm which caused an area outage and I didn't feel too good about it. Next day when I tried accessing Plex running on one of my server, I noticed that none of the media was showing up. I opened the Proxmox UI and saw that one of the HDD had a small question mark icon next to it, and on clicking anything other than the "Summary" tab, it was showing a "Input/output error". So I ran to google with it, and the answer seemed to be close to what I suspected. It was a hardware fault. I thought of it as no biggie and unplugged the hard drive, waited 5 seconds and re-plugged it. Bad Idea! But the error didn't go away.
I have been debugging on google for couple of hours now thinking that the HDD was corrupted to save whatever I could. While doing that, I was constantly booting up the VM after every possible fix. And it was then I noticed, while booting up the VM was trying to do something. It was trying to mount the UUID of the disk I specified in the fstab file. And after 1:30 min it times out and wouldn't boot. So now, not only my plex-media is gone, I can't boot the server itself. It had a bunch of other services running on it. If anyone knows how to fix the fstab file on an arch linux server please let me know, as that might save it? I tried going into the GRUB menu but there just two options within "Advanced options" which only let me edit a few configuration, non of which were the fstab ones.
And then it hit me, had I just logged in to the proxmox node and checked first if the drive was mounted or not, I could've fixed it with a single command! Unplugging and replugging it has given it a new UUID so fstab isn't picking it up.
For now I've mounted it again. I did a bunch of `df` and `du` to see that there is a qcow2 file which I'm using with the following command to import in a new VM from scratch. I don't know how it'll go. But being a noob, I wanted to ask here as the usual google search I can't find the specific situation I've gotten myself into.

Thanks for reading.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!