power outage broke configuration

pousoupoux

Jul 14, 2022
up until today, i was running my server perfectly with no issues whatsoever. then a power outage happened like 2 hours ago and my server is unable to boot (not even showing motherboard logo).

in the process of troubleshooting, i removed my passthroughed gpu and with integrated graphics only it booted normally, although i couldn't access any VM (i have them start on boot).
BUT, i had no internet connection.

when i plug my gpu back in, it never boots as i described above, but it seems that i have internet (Tx, Rx on my mobo nic's lights are blinking)

what in the world happened here?
im guessing something about pci names

EDIT: i also tried to clear CMOS. nothing changed

in the process of troubleshooting, i removed my passthroughed gpu and with integrated graphics only it booted normally, although i couldn't access any VM (i have them start on boot).
When you add or remove PCI(e) devices, the PCI IDs of other PCI(e) devices (even on-board) can change. The name of the network device is determined by its PCI ID. Run ip a to find the new name and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. Press e in the boot menu and remove intel_iommu=on temporarily (or add amd_iommu=off) to prevent passthrough VMs from starting.
up until today, i was running my server perfectly with no issues whatsoever. then a power outage happened like 2 hours ago and my server is unable to boot (not even showing motherboard logo).

when i plug my gpu back in, it never boots as i described above, but it seems that i have internet (Tx, Rx on my mobo nic's lights are blinking)

what in the world happened here?
im guessing something about pci names

EDIT: i also tried to clear CMOS. nothing changed
Sorry, I have no idea why your system won't even POST or reach the BIOS when the GPU is plugged in. Or maybe only the GPU is broken and it just looks like it does not boot?

ok i managed to get my internet back thanks to you, and now everything works fine but without my GPU installed anymore.
Gonna leave this thread open just in case someone else has an idea.

Maybe the GPU has a short circuit which triggered the PSU to shut down (and not start)?
It's not that the system doesn't start, it's that it hangs right after powering it on. I tried to enter BIOS but it gets stuck on "entering setup" screen (msi z97s sli krait edition).

EDIT: integrated GPU doesn't even output a signal (my monitor says so) unless i try to go to BIOS

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!