Possible Bugs in Proxmox 7 - Clean Install

Borotes

Apr 8, 2021
Hi, I reinstalled my servers yesterday with Proxmox 7.0.8, and now they are acting a bit weird.

My preparation for the update was to update all virtual machines and Proxmox to the latest version. Then I pulled backups and shut down the servers.
After the installation, I just made a cluster with both machines and connected my Synology NAS with the backups and ISOs.

I noticed the following issues with the new update that I didn't have with 6.4:

-Wake on Lan (Ethtool) does not seem to work. The servers no longer start when you send them the Magic Package.

-Restoring backups works, but when you go to the config to see which VM it is, I only get an error message (screenshot is attached).

-First I could no longer make changes under "Options" to the VMs, I always got a message that I had no rights to do so. I just wanted to change that they don't turn on automatically (when rebooting) while I'm still configuring everything. Both servers have been restarted in between, but after shutting them both down for a few minutes and clearing my browser cache, the error was gone.

-First, it was not possible to delete ISOs from my NAS, which is using NFS. Unfortunately, I don't have the screenshot anymore, but I would send it as soon as it occurs again.

If I notice any other things, I would add them here.

I also hope that it is okay, to post a bug report here. Some research has shown me that many seem to post their problems here, and it got fixed very quickly

Greetings Borotes

Attachments

• firefox_ix614hixse.png
    firefox_ix614hixse.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi,
After the installation, I just made a cluster with both machines and connected my Synology NAS with the backups and ISOs.
So, you reinstalled the server but did not update it afterwards?

-Restoring backups works, but when you go to the config to see which VM it is, I only get an error message (screenshot is attached).
This is fixed in libpve-storage-perl 7.0-9, which is available in all repositories. Make sure you have the latest updates (apt update && apt dist-upgrade) and try again.

-Wake on Lan (Ethtool) does not seem to work. The servers no longer start when you send them the Magic Package.
How do you have configured WOL? Can you post the ethtool INTERFACE output?
Also, what NIC vendor/model is this?

-First I could no longer make changes under "Options" to the VMs, I always got a message that I had no rights to do so. I just wanted to change that they don't turn on automatically (when rebooting) while I'm still configuring everything. Both servers have been restarted in between, but after shutting them both down for a few minutes and clearing my browser cache, the error was gone.
What user are you using? root@pam or something else, for the latter ensure to re-setup the ACLs.

Reactions: Borotes
Hi,

So, you reinstalled the server but did not update it afterwards?
I reinstalled it, and updated both nodes with the current updates. With the gui first, and then with the command line.
This is fixed in libpve-storage-perl 7.0-9, which is available in all repositories. Make sure you have the latest updates (apt update && apt dist-upgrade) and try again.
I tried "apt update -y && apt upgrade -y && apt dist-upgrade -y && apt autoremove -y", on both nodes, restartet, but perl is still version 7.0-7 on both nodes. Not released yet for everyone?
How do you have configured WOL? Can you post the ethtool INTERFACE output?
Also, what NIC vendor/model is this?
I used this guide in the past and it worked like a charm, till now. Both nodes are Intel NUCs, one is a NUC 8 i5 BEK and the other one a NUC 7i3 BNH. I suppose it is: Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V for both devices.
What user are you using? root@pam or something else, for the latter ensure to re-setup the ACLs.
Always used root till now. I reinstalled another node, but did not add it to the cluster yet, same problem here :(

Thank you for your help!

Edit: I think i have found the source of some problems, I unchecked the subscription repository, but forgot to add no subscription one.... my bad :)

Edit2: WOL still does not work, but the "show configuration" bug ist gone, like you said ;)

ethtool eno1 | grep Wake-on Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g

Last edited:
I think the problem is solved! I reinstalled both nodes and all of a sudden the router showed the original MAC address again.... As it seems to me, Proxmox generates a second card with a different MAC address during the installation (possibly under the new version?). This one I will probably have used the first time....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!