Possible bug: boot disk size shows as 0B

iamalos

Feb 9, 2021
Hi
i have one VM, where PVE is reporting the boot disk size wrong.

It shows 0B instead of the configured 16G on the VM summary page.

I can reproduce the error if i create a new VM with a disk drive that has a given size.

If i detatch the disk from the VM using the gui, and attach the disk again, by editing the vm config file using the cli, the bootdisk size now shows 0B on vm summary page?

VM disk is SCSI.

Disk controller is VirtIO SCSI.

Underlying storage is 2 SATA SSDs in ZFS mirror.

Is this a possible bug?

Is detaching and reattaching disks from a VM not supported?

Running pve-manager/6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel: 5.4.78-2-pve)

Regards

Last edited:
Just a guess: maybe the size is recognized only after boot? Did you reattach and boot off of it?

Just a guess: maybe the size is recognized only after boot? Did you reattach and boot off of it?
Yes.
I should have included that.
Booting the VM after reattaching the disk does not change the bootdisk size displayed in summary.
It still says 0B.

Last edited:
The size is cosmetic and you can change it in the configuration file yourself to whatever you want. The manual about VMID.conf states:
size=<DiskSize>
Disk size. This is purely informational and has no effect.
Proxmox tries to keep this number matching with the disk, and I suspect that you have lost the size= option while manually editing.

The size is cosmetic and you can change it in the configuration file yourself to whatever you want. The manual about VMID.conf states:

Proxmox tries to keep this number matching with the disk, and I suspect that you have lost the size= option while manually editing.
Hi
I Know it is just cosmetic.

It does not change anything, to set the size in the config file for the vm either, unfortunately.

I cannot reproduce your issue with the web GUI: add 16GB disk, detach disk, edit disk so it is re-attached. Can you please share your configuration file?
Hi.

The VM disk you edit, has to be the only one attached to the VM, for the bug to show up.

My configuration file for the VM:

Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=ide2;scsi0
cores: 1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 1024
name: 109
net0: virtio=5A:03:D9:61:88:51,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: evostorage:vm-109-disk-0,size=16G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=9133cac7-9df5-4e8a-b802-8b4f0a9a78dd
sockets: 1
vmgenid: aecdc160-ea35-453e-869f-25c7e41cc0bf

Last edited:
In my case, it was also the only one, but maybe my Proxmox is not as up to date as yours. It shows the size to me after a refresh (F5) of the web GUI. Sorry, I can't help.
Thank you so much for helping, regardless.

I just won't share one of the cases when you have a case like Bootdisk size 0 B on your VM machine inside Summary.
Go inside that machine on Options, and on the right side look to find Boot Order, dubble left click on them, and select your disk drive on the list.

Then click on the OK button, and back to Summary, and that is it.

To fix Boot Disk = 0 GB.
1. run ' qm disk rescan' from command line
1702350499956.png

2. Make sure the size is listed in the .conf files for the vm's
1702350647807.png

3. In Proxmox GUI, Click on the vm, then Options--Boot Order--Edit. Make sure there is a check mark next to sata0 or scsi0
1702350826721.png

1702350874277.png

That's all. it should now should the disk size in Summary

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!