Poor Performance VM Images

Blake.v

Jul 17, 2017
I wanted to move from ESXi to a KVM type setup, and sins Proxmox 5 was just released I decided to give it a try. My main windows VM is being treated as a desktop, if I can manage 90% bare metal performance then I'll be more then happy. Right now I em also running a small container with a basic Samba setup.

My main issue right now is huge lag (up 10% IO delay on the webgui and serouse usability problems in Windows) if I'm transferring anything to or from the zfs image as my D: drive.
I had the same issue with my C: drive, switching from qcow2 to raw fixed that.

But I can transfer to the network share (that's on the same zfs pool) without issue. In both cases it averages over 200MBs

I'm currently using an older AMD setup:
FX-8150
32GB ddr3
4x2tb drives in raidz1
64gb SSD for Proxmox
240GB SSD my daily Windows VM

Code:
balloon: 0
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 6
cpu: host
hostpci0: 01:00,pcie=1,x-vga=on
hostpci1: 02:00.0,pcie=1      #2-Port SATA
hostpci2: 08:05                     #PCI sound card
hostpci3: 04:00.0,pcie=1      #3*2port USB3 Controllers
hostpci4: 05:00.0,pcie=1
hostpci5: 06:00.0,pcie=1
machine: q35
memory: 12288
name: Blake-Win10
net0: virtio=4E:4B:FC:DF:84:56,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ff559531-a1ff-49cc-921a-582c4bc72dfe
sockets: 1
virtio0: SSD:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,size=200G
virtio1: ZFS:vm-100-disk-1,size=1T

I also have a small issue with usb, so I'll likely be asking help with that later, but one problem at a time.

Thanks.

Have you tried cache settings for instance? Try changing the ZFS disk to cache=writeback to see how that affects performance and IO delay.

It seamed to make a small difference, but didn't solve the issue.
Still rather excessive cpu usage, and io delay.

It seamed to make a small difference, but didn't solve the issue.
Still rather excessive cpu usage, and io delay.
Hi,
my zfs-experiences with an FX8350 are also not so good. High IO-Delay and not so much performance.
Looks, that you have an better performance with intel-cpus (or the new amd?).
In my case I switched to hardwareraid (areca) and the performance was quite good.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!