poor performance on LXC instances

spacebass

Feb 25, 2019
Hey Proxmox friends,
I've got a cluster with some mixed, older server hardware. For the most part, everything works wonderfully - I've loved this ecosystem for years.

Recently, I set up an LXC container and the performance is pretty slow, even unresponsive at time. I'm trying to understand if that's just because I'm using underpowered hardware or if there's a configuration issue I can address. My biggest issue is that the console and SSH are very very slow and the one user-facing service I run is also quite slow.

Host:
* PVE 5.4.34-2
* PVE Manager 6.2-4
*32 core Xeon E5-2500
* 64gb of ram
* 4TB ZFS pool
* 1 LXC
* 4-5 running VMs (FreeBSD and Linux)
* Average load: 2%
* IO Delay ~ 0.50%

LXC:
* Ubuntu 20.04
* 4 cores
* 8gb ram
* Disk is stored on NFS (wondering if this is my performance issue?) - the NFS share is from a Synology on the same subnet with link aggregation
* Average load when in use: 1%
* Memory usage 22%

Anyone have any tips on troubleshooting and hopefully improving performance?

For additional context, this machine is running a Roon server. Roon is an audiophile platform for storing and playing lossless audio to different 'end points'.

hi,

Host:
* PVE 5.4.34-2
* PVE Manager 6.2-4
these versions don't match up. can you post your pveversion -v output? 5.x has been EOL for a while now so you should ideally upgrade to the latest versions [0]

* Disk is stored on NFS (wondering if this is my performance issue?) - the NFS share is from a Synology on the same subnet with link aggregation
it very well could be. you can try moving the disk temporarily to a local storage to see if there's any difference. Container -> Resources -> click volume -> Move Volume -> select a local storage as target

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!