PMG 5.1-3 Freezing

Hi,

What version of Vmware VM Guest are you using? I had a similar problem with both versions of PMG, I could make it more stable using VM Guest version 10 - Debian 7 OS 64bit.

When create VM choose Ver 10 and Debian GNU/Linux 7 (64-bit). Try it and let us know your results.

Just my 2c, but i'm getting the same thing. Installed via proxmox iso image into esxi 6.5. Takes around a hour, but it just freezes. No response to pings, or any ports really. The console locks up totally in esxi.

I've checked the journal logs and syslog, messages etc, can't see any messages at all. The one thing I do see is the CPU usage hit 50%. I've got 2 processors configured, so it looks like a process is maxing out, but since I can't get in, I can't see what it is.

Edit, I tried setting the OS to Debian 7, but it still froze. I tested it running with no connections to it, and it worked for 8+ hours. As soon as I started forwarding mail through it, it froze again after about a hour.

Edit 2: I installed a fresh copy of debian 9 and installed via the repositories. Still did the same thing, but I managed to catch something this time as I was tailing the log:
Message from syslogd@MTA at May 19 11:50:16 ...
kernel:[ 3887.275199] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Last edited:
Just my 2c, but i'm getting the same thing. Installed via proxmox iso image into esxi 6.5. Takes around a hour, but it just freezes. No response to pings, or any ports really. The console locks up totally in esxi.

I've checked the journal logs and syslog, messages etc, can't see any messages at all. The one thing I do see is the CPU usage hit 50%. I've got 2 processors configured, so it looks like a process is maxing out, but since I can't get in, I can't see what it is.

Edit, I tried setting the OS to Debian 7, but it still froze. I tested it running with no connections to it, and it worked for 8+ hours. As soon as I started forwarding mail through it, it froze again after about a hour.

Edit 2: I installed a fresh copy of debian 9 and installed via the repositories. Still did the same thing, but I managed to catch something this time as I was tailing the log:
Message from syslogd@MTA at May 19 11:50:16 ...
kernel:[ 3887.275199] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Which kernel are you using? Standard debian or pmg custom one?

I think the repository installs the pmg custom one, but I think i've found the fix. Seems it's a bug in ESXi network drivers, changing it to the E1000e network driver has fixed it. (Well, it's been going for 6 hours now, where it would crash within the hour previously)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!