PM upgrade from 6 to 7 chrony or systemd-timesyncd

mailinglists

Renowned Member
Mar 14, 2012
I monitor all services listed in PVE HTTP GUI under System:
1644926213165.png

After upgrade from 6 to 7 i got notifications about chrony not running. I installed chrony (replaced systemd-timesyncd) but now systemd-timesyncd failure is triggering monitoring system. As both can not run at the same time, I wonder how can I make PM monitor / list just one of these two services and have no disabled, stopped or other non running services listed here, to make my monitoring system happy again.

a disabled and masked service should probably not trigger your monitoring.. we intentionally have both there, since upgraded but not yet switched systems will have the reverse situation (timesyncd running, chrony missing)

no. the list is hard-coded - a service that is explicitly disabled/masked is not something that should trip up your monitoring.

I guess I will have to fix the script so that it does not check all services.

Till now if a service was listed in PVE, it was supposed to be running. But not anymore, so I guess this has to be changed:
"
def services
return unless @options[:mode] == 'services'
http_connect(path: "api2/json/nodes/#{@options[:node]}/services")
services_down = JSON.parse(@response.body)['data'].reject { |item| item['state'] == 'running' }
exclude(data: services_down, value: 'name') unless @options[:exclude].to_s.empty?
warn_msg(services_down.map { |item| item['name'].to_s }.join(', ') << ' not running') if services_down.any?
ok_msg('All services running')
end
"

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

no. the list is hard-coded - a service that is explicitly disabled/masked is not something that should trip up your monitoring.
I want to use proxmox's Chrony service to act as an NTP server for my domain.

is it doable and logical?

Thanks for your feedback. I had forgotten to specify that it is a cluster of 9 servers. in this case should I activate the chrony service on the 9 servers? will there be an impact on the internal synchronization of the cluster?

the cluster only cares about the time being in sync, not how that happens ;) so yes, you can switch all nodes to chrony instead of systemd-timesyncd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!