Please fix download.proxmox.com certificate

averuser

Aug 29, 2019
Hello developers and maintainers,
we users are grateful for the freely accessible virtual platform and its updates. However the certificate of the package and image server, https://download.proxmox.com, is still misconfigured, only issued to enterprise.proxmox.com. As a result, HTTPS connections to the first URL are all aborted because of certificate warnings.
IMHO there are just no incentives today to not provide HTTPS service on a public server. Even Debian is shipping apt-transport-https by default as of buster.
misconfigured cert.JPG
Please fix this issue if possible.

The certificate itself is valid (issued by Let's Encrypt) until October 2 2019, only it is issued to another subdomain - enterprise.proxmox.com instead of download.proxmox.com.

The certificate itself is valid (issued by Let's Encrypt) until October 2 2019, only it is issued to another subdomain - enterprise.proxmox.com instead of download.proxmox.com.
Yeah, I didn't question the validity of the certificate itself, I used the word "misconfigured" instead. And as far as I can tell from my experience, they can just change the certificate request command at anytime and get a new cert. (within Let's encrypt rate limit, of course)
I suspect they didn't notice this issue, or maybe they are intentional. The certificate is valid only for 3 months and is normally renewed by a scheduled program. Back in March, it was not valid for the "download" subdomain, it still is the case in August.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!