Playing around with HA and proxmox, cannot open /dev/pve/vm-xxx

n01k

Nov 13, 2019
Ontario Canada
tweakmyskills.it
Good morning everyone,

I was experimenting and playing around with my Proxmox 3 node cluster. I was testing HA more specifically.

Each server has 2x300GB drives in Raid-1. Nothing complex but something easy for me to pilot and learn on. I only have a Local and Local-LVM stoage. I did add iSCSI storage to test shared storage but I'm not focusing on that right now.

I enabled HA for one specific Windows VM on my main proxmox node (Node 1). I disconnected the ethernet cable from the node itself and watched how HA will work.

What appears to have happened is the HA process started and moved the VM details from Node 1 to Node 2 but the storage didn't move. I understand this issue because the storage is local to each server, so loosing network connectivity on Node 1, proxmox was not able to move the VM contents. This is my fault.

I spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how I can move the VM details back from Node 2 to Node 1. As you can imagine, a migration move won't work because:

The VM in question is VM ID: 102

2019-11-26 03:59:22 starting migration of VM 102 to node 'NODE1' (10.16.61.103)
2019-11-26 03:59:23 found local disk 'local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0' (in current VM config)
2019-11-26 03:59:23 copying local disk images
blockdev: cannot open /dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0: No such file or directory

Here is the output of each node using lvscan:

root@NODE1:~# lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/swap' [8.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/root' [69.50 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/data' [<181.66 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0' [48.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/vm-101-disk-0' [48.00 GiB] inherit
root@NODE1:~#

root@NODE2:~# lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0' [32.00 GiB] inherit
root@NODE2:~#

root@NODE3:~# lvscan
root@NODE3:~#

I see the VM disk data on NODE 1 but the VM information shows up on NODE 2.

how can I move this VM information from NODE2 to NODE1?

ProxTest.PNG

1] Ensure VM is in down state.
2 ] Move /etc/pve/nodes/node-id-02/qemu-server/102.conf ----> /etc/pve/nodes/node-id-01/qemu-server/102.conf

Reactions: n01k
1] Ensure VM is in down state.
2 ] Move /etc/pve/nodes/node-id-02/qemu-server/102.conf ----> /etc/pve/nodes/node-id-01/qemu-server/102.conf

Thank you very much.

As I am learning, your command helped me greatly.

For reference if anybody else runs into this issue, this was the command:

root@NODE2:~# mv /etc/pve/nodes/NODE2/qemu-server/102.conf /etc/pve/nodes/NODE1/qemu-server/102.conf

Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!