Planning Proxmox VE 5.1: Ceph Luminous, Kernel 4.13, latest ZFS, LXC 2.1

Are You planning to enhance backup in 5.x with lz4 compression or a packer program that is not single core?
It's really bottleneck when You have to compress more than 1TB (...)

hi fabian ... this fix does not win the rdma match .... cluster will still not be able to come up rdma enabled :( i dropped mellanox a note and a link to our log files

Are You planning to enhance backup in 5.x with lz4 compression or a packer program that is not single core?
It's really bottleneck when You have to compress more than 1TB (...)

you can already use pigz with a configurable number of cores..

My question is not how to speed up that but will it be in production iso implemented in this or other way?

@fabian Mellanox requested to see Infiniband.cc of your version ... can you please send me this ?
Code:
Gerhard, can you send me Infiniband.cc which is compiled in  in your version?

Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 8:23 PM
To: Gerhard W. Recher <gerhard.recher@net4sec.com>; Sasha Kotchubievsky <sashakot@mellanox.com>
Cc: 王豪迈 <haomai@xsky.com>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] RDMA with mellanox connect x3pro on debian stretch and proxmox v5.0 kernel 4.10.17-3

Same issue with gid index.

See below gid_index=47 before assert. Seems the patch was not taken.

@fabian Mellanox requested to see Infiniband.cc of your version ... can you please send me this ?
Code:
Gerhard, can you send me Infiniband.cc which is compiled in  in your version?

Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 8:23 PM
To: Gerhard W. Recher <gerhard.recher@net4sec.com>; Sasha Kotchubievsky <sashakot@mellanox.com>
Cc: 王豪迈 <haomai@xsky.com>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] RDMA with mellanox connect x3pro on debian stretch and proxmox v5.0 kernel 4.10.17-3

Same issue with gid index.

See below gid_index=47 before assert. Seems the patch was not taken.

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=ceph.git...1a53077889f6507af1211e8b2c832a85baff1;hb=HEAD

with

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=ceph.git...38f488cb9d899b434714b2024a4bdfea0edf1;hb=HEAD

applied on top ;) (which is equivalent to Luminous 12.2.1 with the commit from git master cherry-picked).

it might make sense to either move this discussion to bugzilla.proxmox.com , pve-devel@pve.proxmox.com or a separate forum thread at least?

Reactions: Gerhard W. Recher
you can already use pigz with a configurable number of cores..
When will this come to the GUI?

We have more than 4TB that need a weekly backup and about 2TB that need a daily backup. This would speed up things a LOT!
It would also be nice if it would be configurable how many backups actually really run at the same time. Right now they are all pending till it's their turn in the queue.
The server storage, the backup storage and the network can take much more than what a single backup job actually uses. (We use dedicated NICs for Backup/Restore/Sync to other storage spaces)

Any update would be nice on this!

When will this come to the GUI?

We have more than 4TB that need a weekly backup and about 2TB that need a daily backup. This would speed up things a LOT!
It would also be nice if it would be configurable how many backups actually really run at the same time. Right now they are all pending till it's their turn in the queue.
The server storage, the backup storage and the network can take much more than what a single backup job actually uses. (We use dedicated NICs for Backup/Restore/Sync to other storage spaces)

Any update would be nice on this!

just set the pigz option in /etc/vzdump.conf , and all backups will use pigz instead of gzip..

Reactions: jeffwadsworth
Are you still on for mid/late October? I have a small lab project that I'd love to do with a "final" 5.1, but if the release is sliding into November I won't be able to wait. Quick status update appreciated.

just set the pigz option in /etc/vzdump.conf , and all backups will use pigz instead of gzip..

I installed pigz with 'apt install pigz' and actived it in the config with 'pigz: 8'.
Is this the correct way? I could not really find any information on how to configure it completely. The option is only mentioned in the config file and the manual, that's it.

I installed pigz with 'apt install pigz' and actived it in the config with 'pigz: 8'.
Is this the correct way? I could not really find any information on how to configure it completely. The option is only mentioned in the config file and the manual, that's it.

Yes, it's correct. See also
Code:
man vzdump
or https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-vzdump.html (just search after pigz).

Are you still on for mid/late October?

I'm not really in the position to guarantee anything but yes, we're aiming still for that.

You know that cloud-init runs on the local machines right? It's more a question on how to get the code into the machines.
Yeah, I mean I have already some cloud-init ready images from the other setup, and I would like to use them on our production Proxmox servers. The question really is, will proxmox support passing cloud-init configs to images on startup (GUI or CLI).

Reactions: DerDanilo
Yeah, I mean I have already some cloud-init ready images from the other setup, and I would like to use them on our production Proxmox servers. The question really is, will proxmox support passing cloud-init configs to images on startup (GUI or CLI).

Proxmox should also have something similar to Heat/Terraform/ etc if it starts supporting cloud-init.

Suggestions
Why not use OpenStack to do real cloud computing? Proxmox is nice, even for bigger infrastructure projects. But for real cloud computing it's a different story. Have a look here. Mention my name when you get in contact with sales.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!