Pings/Web iface requests continue to pass through despite DC FW "ON"

N0AGI

Apr 6, 2021
DFW, Texas, USA.
n0agi.com
hi Proxmox community team,
I had originally posted this to this post - but, later realized it was marked as "solved". Therefore starting a new post w/ my scenario.

Summary:
  • Server is on 8.2.4, net new setup
  • Server is on LAN and has public facing web iface via nginx proxy and hostname (may not be relevant to this issue, but sharing in case)
  • DC FW is ON, No DC FW rules
  • Node FW is OFF, No Node FW rules other than the OOB factory defaults.
Despite the DC FW being ON...
  • I am still able to ping the server from a LAN attached PC.
  • I am still able to open the web iface
Question:
  1. when the DC FW is ON, it should block ALL traffic across all nodes w/i that DC despite the individual Nodes' FW is OFF - am I correct?

please see screenshots - thanks in advance for any insights.

Attachments

• pve-fw-1.png
    pve-fw-1.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
  • pve-fw-2.png
    pve-fw-2.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 4
  • pve-fw-3.png
    pve-fw-3.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
  • pve-fw-4.png
    pve-fw-4.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 4
It's the other way around: DC level FW must be ON so the firewall is applied to every host and VM's network interface that have firewall ON. If you want firewall to apply to a PVE host, you need FW ON both at DC and host level.

Reactions: N0AGI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!