[SOLVED] The Proxmox firewall lets everything pass, despite it being activated.

Jul 21, 2023
Hello everybody

My Proxmox firewall lets everything pass, despite it being activated.

I configured and installed Proxmox a few years ago, as well as the integrated firewall. And everything worked perfectly until now.

I didn't hit anything in particular, and I have the impression that the problem occurred after the 8.2 update. Is there anything to modify or change with the new firewall?

I launched my terminal with a ping on a VM or the host, and I never managed to cut the ping with the firewall.

Have you ever encountered this problem?

I remain available if you need more information.

thank you so much
Arnaud

Last edited:
Can you give me some more detailed information?

From which IP are you pinging to where (IP of VM / host)?

Can you post the output of the following commands?
Code:
iptables-save
systemctl status pve-firewall proxmox-firewall

Can you give me some more detailed information?

From which IP are you pinging to where (IP of VM / host)?

Can you post the output of the following commands?
Code:
iptables-save
systemctl status pve-firewall proxmox-firewall
Hello Shanreich

The Proxmox host server is in a datacenter, behind a public IP (no NAT), and the same goes for the VMs.
And i ping from my home to my computer (i'm not giving you the IPs as i'm vulnerable or private)

Here is the result of the command :
root@prox1:~# systemctl status pve-firewall proxmox-firewall
○ pve-firewall.service
Loaded: masked (Reason: Unit pve-firewall.service is masked.)
Active: inactive (dead)

● proxmox-firewall.service - Proxmox nftables firewall
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proxmox-firewall.service; enabled; preset: ena>
Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-05-17 06:12:51 CEST; 4h 25min ago
Main PID: 2189 (proxmox-firewal)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 154403)
Memory: 3.7M
CPU: 16.643s
CGroup: /system.slice/proxmox-firewall.service
└─2189 /usr/libexec/proxmox/proxmox-firewall

May 17 06:35:01 prox1 proxmox-firewall[2189]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall>
lines 1-15

Thanks for your help
Arnaud

Seems like the pve-firewall service is masked, did you do anything regarding that? That shouldn't happen automatically in any case. Did you try to enable the new firewall?

Seems like the pve-firewall service is masked, did you do anything regarding that? That shouldn't happen automatically in any case. Did you try to enable the new firewall?

So no, I don't see it at all, I saw it yesterday, I tried to stop the firewall and restart it but it told me it was hidden, I didn't even know it was possible.

I updated the packages this morning, and restarted the server, but still the same problem ;-(

Is it possible that you accidentally masked the pve-firewall process? Anyway, this should be fixable as soon as you can give me the output of the following command:

Code:
grep nftables /etc/pve/nodes/**/host.fw

Is it possible that you accidentally masked the pve-firewall process? Anyway, this should be fixable as soon as you can give me the output of the following command:

Code:
grep nftables /etc/pve/nodes/**/host.fw
i don't see how i could have done it, i haven't touched anything lately.

Nothing comes up when i type in your order.
Here's what's in the "host.fw"

[OPTIONS]

enable: 1
tcp_flags_log_level: alert
smurf_log_level: alert
log_level_out: alert
log_level_in: alert

You should be able to simply unmask pve-firewall and restart it, for good measure:

Code:
systemctl unmask pve-firewall && systemctl restart pve-firewall

Then check if it is running:

Code:
systemctl status pve-firewall

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!