Physical Hard drive Pass through with physical attributes and without emulation

neail

Jan 12, 2023
Hello, first of all, apologies if that question makes no sense to anyone.

I am VMing Open media vault (OMV) inside PVE, I have a couple of NTFS drives that I want to backup in a larger drive with EXT4, fortunately, OMV supports both file formats.

Recently, I have been using VirtIO to passthrough my drives to the VM, but the problem was there were no SMART data available to the OMV as the disk were virtualized,
Next tried the SCSI passthrough, as that was also virtualized by qmeu a little bit more data available but full SMART access was not possible.

Can anyone, please suggest any way that the SMART data can be accessed from INSIDE the VM?

(commands if someone finds it helpful)

Code:
first discover the disks in proxmox shell with-

ls -n  /dev/disk/by-id/

for VirtIO passthrough- (if multiple drives, keep changing the virtIO number like virtio3, virtio4.... )

/sbin/qm set "VM id in number " -virtio3 /dev/disk/by-id/"Disk id by ata/scsi/wwn "

example code---
/sbin/qm set 100 -virtio3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500413AS_Z2A4RXV0

for SCSI passthrough-

qm set "VM id" -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/"disk-id"

Attachments

• disk list.png
    disk list.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 33
  • SMART data with SCSI QMEU.png
    SMART data with SCSI QMEU.png
    79 KB · Views: 31
  • SMART data with VirtIO.png
    SMART data with VirtIO.png
    36 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Ronzionigian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!