Physical disk pass-through...

P

puwaha

Hello everyone,

I have an NTFS formatted hard drive with data on it that I would like to pass through to a windows VM unmolested. I've played around with adding the drive as an LVM group, and just manually adding the drive via the VMID.conf file.

The drive physically shows up in the windows VM, but it doesn't recognize it as having any data or that it needs to be formatted.

Has anyone attempted this before?

Whats the best was to pass-through a hard drive to a VM? This is easy on Hyper-V, but I'd really like to get this feature working on Proxmox.

Whats the best was to pass-through a hard drive to a VM? This is easy on Hyper-V, but I'd really like to get this feature working on Proxmox.

Edit the VM config /etc/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf, and directly assign the device. For example:

Code:
ide0: /dev/sdb2

Yes, thank you... I figured out what went wrong. When I added the disk to an LVM group with these instructions: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_with_Local_Backing

I screwed up the drive somehow. I put another hard drive that was NTFS formatted and just added the entry in the vmid.conf file, and it passed through with no problem.

Thanks for the quick reply

I think someone should fix the wiki on this situation... http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_assign_a_physical_disk_to_a_VM.3F

It indicates that I need to add it to the web interface first... but in fact you don't want to do that at all. Especially if you want to preserve the data on the drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited, please review if is more clear and/or if I've made some mistake. In any case, everyone can edit directly the wiki if finds something clear wrong, or has some experience to share with the community. Thanks for pointing out the above problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!