[SOLVED] pfsense on Proxmox - accessing Proxmox Web UI via VPN

gdi2k

Aug 13, 2016
I have a dedicated server on which I have proxmox running. I have installed pfsense as a VM which is working fine. I have assigned pfsense a public IP to its WAN interface, which separate from the Proxmox host.

For LAN, on the proxmox host I created a virtual bridge on eth0.1 and assigned it IP 192.168.40.9/24. For pfsense, I assigned the LAN interface to the LAN virtual bridge and gave it an IP of 192.168.40.1/24. I can reach the proxmox LAN IP from pfsense and vice versa. So far so good.

I set up a site to site openvpn connection from pfsense to our pfsense VM on our main network 10.0.0.0/21. Now I can access the pfsense web interface from the main network (as well as other VMs on the proxmox host), but not the proxmox web interface itself.

How can I fix that? I don't like the proxmox web UI being exposed on a public IP, so I would like to disable that, and access it only via its LAN IP 192.168.40.9.

(I have this working on one set up already, but I can't get it working on this new set up - not sure what I'm missing!).

Managed to get this solved. The issue is that the proxmox host has no route back to the network from which the web interface is being access. Adding a route solves this.

route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 gw 192.168.40.1 dev vmbr2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!