PFsense 2.4 on Proxmox 5.2/5.3

vitor costa

Oct 28, 2009
I run a lot proxmox servers and cluster and almost all have PFsense as Firewall to network. All fine Until upgrade some this Proxmox to 5.2 and upgrade Pfsense on this Proxmox to 2.4 and 2.4.4....
Time to time PFsense network traffic stop on LAN (most times) or Wan... not all network cards die same time... to fix that need reboot PFsense (not stop and start VM). This happend when using Virtio card, E1000 cards. No sure if RTL8139 are seme problem, and never see happen w vmxnet3 (we using it on non cluster becouse seens vmxnet3 cant live migrate).

Any idea or sugestion welcome

I just upgraded from ProxMox 4 to 5 some months ago and also have a pfSense 2.4 firewall VM with the same issues. Has anyone found a reason for this? I just now switched the two E1000 network cards on vmbr0 and vmbr1 to VirtIO to see if I also still get the same issues.

In general it is not recommended to run pfSense with virtualized NICs. I have been running pfSense since 2.2 virtualized on ProxMox with 4x 1GB NICs passed through and zero problems. These cards are cheep as chips and can save you such problems. Not exactly an answer to your problem but something to consider.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!