Permission to run qm reset

Marc Ballat

Dec 28, 2015
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to grant to a specific user the permission to run qm reset or qm reboot.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

The permission you are looking for would be VM.PowerMgmt, be aware that this also includes start/stop/shutdown and all other power management related commands.

Dear Stefan,,

I had tried this earlier before posting but without success :

$ qm status 201 ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: No such file or directory ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: No such file or directory ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: No such file or directory please run as root $

As you can see, even the status operation fails (error message is similar for reset).

Dear Stefan,,

I had tried this earlier before posting but without success :

$ qm status 201 ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: No such file or directory ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: No such file or directory ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: No such file or directory please run as root $

As you can see, even the status operation fails (error message is similar for reset).

Running commands via CLI is root only, I'm afraid. The only way to do it would be to give the specific user permission to run sudo with particular commands. You can define this in the sudoers file. Examples for this can be found in the sudoers documentation: https://linux.die.net/man/5/sudoers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!