"Permission denied" when accessing bind mounted folder with non root user

hakim

Oct 4, 2010
Hi,

From an OpenVZ VE (Debian Squeeze), I am able to access the whole tree folder which is bind mounted as long I am logged as root.

If I log on the VE with a non root user, despite the fact I grant the user all the rights to access the folder, whenever I try a "cd /path_to_folder/folder" I get a permission denied error.

If I do the same with a folder "normally" created in the VE, I do not have that problem.

I am using the last version of Proxmox (1.9) and a debian squeeze amd64 virtual appliance

Do you have any idea what the problem could be ?

Thanks,
Hakim

Hi,

From an OpenVZ VE (Debian Squeeze), I am able to access the whole tree folder which is bind mounted as long I am logged as root.

If I log on the VE with a non root user, despite the fact I grant the user all the rights to access the folder, whenever I try a "cd /path_to_folder/folder" I get a permission denied error.

If I do the same with a folder "normally" created in the VE, I do not have that problem.

I am using the last version of Proxmox (1.9) and a debian squeeze amd64 virtual appliance

Do you have any idea what the problem could be ?

Thanks,
Hakim
Hi,
if the gid from the pve-host and the VM are different you can have such things. Like your directory are accessible for group users (gid 100) on the host and inside the vm users have the gid of 1000 than the don't have access to the directory (only gid 100). Look with "ls -lsa" and you see the permissions - inside the vm and on the host.

With "chmod 777" all can do anything but this is not very safe ;)

Udo

Thanxs Udo for your answer.

I recheck all my rights and finally it is working as expected.

Hakim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!