perfered node / fencing

davlaw

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2012
I'm sure this has a simple answer, but spammers have beat me into a pulp and I need a break..

Can I specify a preferred node for a VM and have it used when fencing occurs? I would like it say stay on node 4 but if node 4 goes down, it does it thing. Then once node 4 is restored. have the VM go back to it.

Or is it as simple as where the VM resides when its placed in HA? Is the "owner" the preferred node?

Tx

Last edited:
I think you can do it with failover domains, that way you can tell priority to each VM/node.

Well it turned into a royal mess.. I'm sure this deserves another thread, as I had multiple instances of VMs running causing a few corrupted VMs... discovered it after about a day and a half of terror.

Looks like fencing is not working, other wise this is not possible. check your fencing devices!

yep, guessing thats the case. I had tested it but its been a few months ago. Plus there has been an ilo firmware update that was done. Once management settles down (am my confidence level rebounds) we'll give it a proper testing to confirm.

Just getting back to testing... found one misconfig. In itself would have been problematic ...

But just found the statement in the wiki

"Note: Make sure that the VMs or CTs are not running when you add them to HA."

That's the big one that burned me. If they are running, they'll just get started elsewhere and the mess will consume you..

Seems like there should be a check before adding a running VM/CT to HA to prevent this? Guess its not a simple check?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!