Perfect setup?

zccopwrx

Jul 18, 2008
We currently use a large production VMware ESX cluster, and just recently I started toying around with ProxMox VE, and I have a few questions..

Any roadmaps heading towards auto-failover support, where nodes can share the same filesystems, and takeover processing for VM's or VE's if the current node goes dark? I understand in that case, the VM would need a power recycle, but even that would be fine.

Is there any undocumented way to move a KVM VM over to a new node, even if its command line based, I understand V1.0 will have a GUI for this, but meanwhile that would be nice to have aswell.

It would also be nice to see some type of datastore implemntation in the Cluster mode so a single shared storage can be accessed by all the nodes (which also would help #1 above).

I've been using this for only 24 hours and I'm already impressed, keep up the great work.

Ok disregard the migration of the KVM's because I just did a simple scp between two nodes and that did the trick.. I thought there was more to it, but wow, that was simple...

So.. in KVM land, using NFS to store the QEMU disks would be ok.. the only problem I forsee is that each node would register it, so theres the potential there to have the same VM started in two places.. so there would likely need to be another level of organization that would determine which node is the VM suppose to be on.. I am hoping V1.0 will address that issue, or maybe give you guys some food for thought..

We currently use a large production VMware ESX cluster, and just recently I started toying around with ProxMox VE, and I have a few questions..

Any roadmaps heading towards auto-failover support, where nodes can share the same filesystems, and takeover processing for VM's or VE's if the current node goes dark? I understand in that case, the VM would need a power recycle, but even that would be fine.

Is there any undocumented way to move a KVM VM over to a new node, even if its command line based, I understand V1.0 will have a GUI for this, but meanwhile that would be nice to have aswell.

It would also be nice to see some type of datastore implemntation in the Cluster mode so a single shared storage can be accessed by all the nodes (which also would help #1 above).

I've been using this for only 24 hours and I'm already impressed, keep up the great work.

welcome here. next week beta2 will be released and we try to finalize it to 1.0 soon.

1.0 will not include a complete shared storage model, but we collect already the requirements for upcoming releases. so if you have any suggestion just post this here for discussion.

as we use local storage, you need copy the files to another host (KVM migration is not implemented yet). pls check the documentation about the beta2 next week, describing the storage concept.

For running Linux servers, we suggest OpenVZ.

I agree, I used OpenVZ prior to using ProxMox, so I am familiar with it, and its shortcomings over NFS, so I am looking forward to seeing what 1.0 is going to offer.

Perfect setup

just a quick question...what is the difference between malware and adware?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!