pct restore can't find file

johnny21

Mar 12, 2023
Hi guys,

my first post here... so please appologize for any wrong aproach.
I run PVE 7.2-3 with few VM's and few more CT's. Today one CT run out of space because of my mistake yesterday (root disk size =40GB ), but few hours before crash, cronjob do backup of this CT.

So I want now to restore CT from backup, but on first attempt was failed because "no space left on device" - I try to restore on storage with more than 500GB free space. Okay, I need to resize root disk size before restoring.

But when I try to restore with resized rootfs to 50GB to my smb_1TB storage with this :
Code:
pct restore --rootfs 50 102 vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst -storage smb_1TB

I get:
Code:
recovering backed-up configuration from 'vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst'
unable to restore CT 166 - can't find file 'vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst'

I get same error (can't find file) even if I named full path location of backup: /mnt/pve/backup_hdd/vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst

Where I'm wrong?
I really need to run this LXC one more time to get some config files from it.

Any help apreciated!

Hi,
But when I try to restore with resized rootfs to 50GB to my smb_1TB storage with this :
Code:
pct restore --rootfs 50 102 vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst -storage smb_1TB

I get:
Code:
recovering backed-up configuration from 'vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst'
unable to restore CT 166 - can't find file 'vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst'
did you try running the command from the directory where the backup file is located?
I get same error (can't find file) even if I named full path location of backup: /mnt/pve/backup_hdd/vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst
Are you sure this is the correct path? If you didn't use an explicit dumpdir when doing the backup, I would expect the path to have a dump/ in it:
/mnt/pve/backup_hdd/dump/vzdump-lxc-102-2023_03_12-04_30_19.tar.zst

Reactions: johnny21
Hi,

did you try running the command from the directory where the backup file is located?

Are you sure this is the correct path? If you didn't use an explicit dumpdir when doing the backup, I would expect the path to have a dump/ in it:

Thank you @fiona ! I was able to restore from backup with your suggestion including "dumpdir". I never pay attention to path and now I see when manually start backup, path actually include .../dump/...
INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/backup_hdd/dump/vzdump-lxc-166-2023_03_13-20_32_39.tar.zst'

Can you give me just a short explanation please? That mean all my backups have path like /mnt/pve/storage/dump/ ?

Can you give me just a short explanation please? That mean all my backups have path like /mnt/pve/storage/dump/ ?
Well, /mnt/pve/storage is the main path of the storage and there are multiple subdirectories for different content types, i.e. dump for backups, images for VM images, etc. If backups is the only allowed content type, the other subdirectories will not be created.

Reactions: johnny21

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!