pct command not found

nnpm

Jun 29, 2021
Hi,

I am new to proxmox. I have just installed proxmox and was able to create VM via the gui. For some reason, i could not run pct as it said 'pct command not found'?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Tom,
I did compare and my version was older as shown below. I tried to run 'apt update' and got error ' Failed to fetch https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/buster/InRelease 401 Unauthorized ...'. Is it because I am not subscribed? Removing pve-enterprise from sources.list got rid of the error but pve did not get upgraded.

proxmox-ve: 6.3-1 (running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-4 (running version: 6.4-4/337d6701)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-1
pve-kernel-helper: 6.4-1
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve: 5.4.106-1

I have upgraded. I still have the error 'pct command not found'. Do I need to reboot? Below is the version of pve after upgrading.

proxmox-ve: 6.4-1 (running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-9 (running version: 6.4-9/5f5c0e3f)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-3
pve-kernel-helper: 6.4-3
pve-kernel-5.4.119-1-pve: 5.4.119-1
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve: 5.4.106-1
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.1.2-pve1
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.20-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.1.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.0.3-1
libpve-access-control: 6.4-3
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 6.4-3
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.1-5
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.2-3
libpve-storage-perl: 6.4-1
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4
lxc-pve: 4.0.6-2
lxcfs: 4.0.6-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
proxmox-backup-client: 1.1.10-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.5-6
pve-cluster: 6.4-1
pve-container: 3.3-5
pve-docs: 6.4-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200531-1
pve-firewall: 4.1-4
pve-firmware: 3.2-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.1-1
pve-i18n: 2.3-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 5.2.0-6
pve-xtermjs: 4.7.0-3
qemu-server: 6.4-2
smartmontools: 7.2-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-2
zfsutils-linux: 2.0.4-pve1

Thanks,
Andrew

have upgraded. I still have the error 'pct command not found'. Do I need to reboot? Below is the version of pve after upgrading.
where do you get this error exaclty?

Please post the full output/log of your command line.

I typed the command, pct help, from the terminal of Debian that hosts proxmox. The only result is 'bash: pct: command not found'

After a kernel upgrade a reboot is required to make it active, so that's recommended anyway.
But the kernel update has little to do with not being able to find the pct command. Also the listed packages seem correct.
You mention Debian, did you install from proxmox iso or did you install from debian iso and installed pve afterwards?

Just to get some extra info:
Could you run following commands from your proxmox terminal and post output?
echo $PATH
and
whereis pct

Please post your info in CODE or INLINE CODE blocks (see buttons above your message)

I did reboot but still no help. I created the proxmox ve installation DVD from iso and then installed from that DVD. Basically directly from iso. I did not install debian.

I think you nailed the problem. Here is the result.

Path:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

whereis pct:

pct: /usr/sbin/pct /usr/share/man/man1/pct.1.gz

I can run pct by using the whole path. I guess i have to add /usr/sbin to Path.

Thanks,
Nghia

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
I don't think this is the standard path, my current path in a pve server running no-subscription:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Are you sure that you didn't install extra packages on your proxmox host?
If in doubt I recommend a clean install from scratch. If you just started out that could also be a good thing, proxmox can be a real nice learning experience ;)

Last edited:
Can I install extra packages using apt install instead of installing from scratch?

Depends on what your goal is, yes you can install extra packages, that's the nice thing of running debian as base.
But to avoid issues, it's best to keep a hypervisor as clean as possible.

Nice of you to get back on that, strange that the path variable can get so mixed up by the installation of Gnome.
But then again, as I recommended, it's better to leave the host as clean as possible.
If i'm right the proxmox staff devs do use gnome shell on their proxmox dev host, perhaps @tom can explain more on how to do that.

The same exact problem happened to me, using proxmox v7 image for a scaleway/online.net dedibox server, why ? (and the problem is not related with gnome...)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!