[SOLVED] PCI passthrough on old hardware, IOMMU shows enabled, but can't use it

Kongolan

Jan 20, 2022
I'm pretty stuck here. I'm using old laptop hardware, with a i5-4200U, which does support VT-d and virtualization in BIOS, but i can't get it to work, while following the tutorial here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

When I try to add a PCI device to a VM, i get this message "No IOMMU detected, please activate it."

# dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU [ 0.016855] ACPI: DMAR 0x000000009AFDB000 000088 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000) [ 0.016894] ACPI: Reserving DMAR table memory at [mem 0x9afdb000-0x9afdb087] [ 0.037107] DMAR: IOMMU enabled [ 0.043883] DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: Your BIOS is broken; DMAR reported at address 0! # find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l # ls -l /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ total 0

It seems like IOMMU is enabled, but there are problems with the BIOS still, the iommu groups are empty.

Can someone please help me?

Last edited:
You are correct, there were some options in the Chipset and the CPU BIOS options and I checked them both, but it seems in the end the i5-4200U doesn't support it. Even though all my efforts and settings did look like progress, in the end it wouldn't work.

Thanks for this, I really thought when the BIOS shows it, it would be possible, but it is not.

Also to note for some, this in the end lead me to this insight as well: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2348650

"The check you did for IOMMU is not accurate, rather check this way as per Alex Williamson instructions. The dev for redhat working on KVM."

# dmesg | grep Virtual

"You need to see an output like below, if you don't see it then IOMMU is not enabled."

[ 0.428319] PCI-DMA: Intel(R) Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!