[SOLVED] PBS + PVE same host

showiproute

Mar 11, 2020
Austria
Hello there,

I am currently thinking of installing Backup Server beside my virtualisation host.
Does this simpyl work out of the box?

How about shared ressources like RAM for ZFS?
Is PBS able to read the configuration stuff I have configures at PVE (e.g. network settings)?

hi,
Does this simpyl work out of the box?

yes, you can just install the package from the repositories [0]

How about shared ressources like RAM for ZFS?
Is PBS able to read the configuration stuff I have configures at PVE (e.g. network settings)?
how do you mean exactly?

yes the network settings will be the same as your PVE host, port 8007 will start hosting the web gui for backup server.

for shared resources, if you have enough to spare you shouldn't have any bottleneck. system requirements for backup server [1] are not so much, you should ideally make sure you have good disks.

[0]: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#debian-package-repositories
[1]: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#system-requirements

Hi @oguz ,

regarding the shared ressources - currently most of my RAM is used by ZFS from PVE (I guess as cache).
How would it look like if I share it with PBS?

Is it possible to run full backups of VM beside regular incremental backups?

regarding the shared ressources - currently most of my RAM is used by ZFS from PVE (I guess as cache).
How would it look like if I share it with PBS?
hard to say without more details about your setup really.
how much memory do you have on your node?

you can also take a look here [0] and here [1] to possibly limit the memory usage to some extent (be careful with this as it can cause performance issues when too low)

ideally you have enough memory to not run into any situation where this should be a problem.

you can still install the package and test some things to see how it performs in your setup. although it is recommended to run it on a separate baremetal server with dedicated resources for best performance.

Is it possible to run full backups of VM beside regular incremental backups?
the first backup is a full backup and the following are made incrementally to reduce network traffic. the chunks are then deduplicated on the server to preserve space.

you should take a look at the documentation [2]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#sysadmin_zfs_limit_memory_usage
[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#zfs_swap
[2]: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/introduction.html

My system has 128 GB DDR3 ECC RAM & 2x Xeon CPU E5-2637 v3 (16 thread in sum) - I guess this should be suitable.

Is it possible to force PBS to create a full backup beside incremental ones?
I am asking as on a monthly base I am copying backups on an external offline HDD for security. From a technical perspective it might make more sense to have a full backup copy of each VM on the HDD rather than just incremental things.

My system has 128 GB DDR3 ECC RAM & 2x Xeon CPU E5-2637 v3 (16 thread in sum) - I guess this should be suitable.
yes this should be okay :)

Is it possible to force PBS to create a full backup beside incremental ones?
no, but you can always do a regular vzdump backup on a different storage (from your PVE) if you want to have a monthly/yearly chain of backups.
otherwise this is just wasting space since you will just write the same chunks in the datastore

thanks for the information.

Is it possible for PBS to use the same TLS certificate as for PVE?
Both reside on the same server.

thanks for the information.

Is it possible for PBS to use the same TLS certificate as for PVE?
Both reside on the same server.
yes, you can copy or symlink the certificates from PVE (/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key and pve-ssl.pem) into /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key and proxy.pem

Reactions: showiproute
Okay so PBS is now running beside PVE - so far so good.

Regarding the backup process: Is it "just" adding PBS withing my PVE cluster and creating a backup job within PVE? So "pushing" from PVE to PBS.
Will this also enable incremental backups?

Or do I need to setup the backup jobs on PBS? "Pulling" from PVE to PBS.

You define a PBS storage in PVE and choose this as backup target. There's no pulling backups from PBS's side.
All backups within PBS are deduplicated and incremental by design. No need to enable anything.

Be careful though, when your node now fails you don't have access to your machines AND their backups!

Reactions: showiproute
Thank's a lot @oguz !
you're welcome :)

yes, you can copy or symlink the certificates from PVE (/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key and pve-ssl.pem) into /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key and proxy.pem
i forgot to add that your backup user should be able to read these, so you should fix those permissions or owner of the files as well

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!