[SOLVED] PBS does not boot after kernel upgrade

Apr 26, 2023
Switzerland
Hi,

We have a HPE server with proxmox backup server on it. It is working great as production for a long time now.
We did upgrade to the latest version, and after the reboot, it does not find the LVM group anymore to boot from.
Volume group "pbs" not found Cannot process volume group pbs ALERT! /dev/mapper/pbs-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

If I go choose in grub an old kernel like 5.13.19-6-pve, it boot again and works as espected.

It fails with the latest kernels:
5.15.104-1-pve
5.15.102-1-pve

Only 5.13 and before worked.

Is there any issue with 5.15.x ?

The system is installed on a basic HPE server with 2 ssd configured in RAID1 within the HPE Raid utility. It's only for the OS, the datastores are mounted from elsewhere.

Thank for help

Hi,
please try to rebuild the initramfs after booting from the working kernel by running update-initramfs -u -k all. Do you see any errors/warnings during the initramfs creation? Also consider adding a rootdelay=10 to your kernel command line to pause for 10 seconds before trying to mount the root filesystem. Also, check if cat /proc/partitions shows your partitions from the rescue shell if the problem persists.

Hi,

I tried to update initramfs, with no luck:

Code:
╭─root@pbs-host1 ~
╰─➤  update-initramfs -u -k all
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.104-1-pve
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/dm-0
I: (/dev/mapper/pbs-swap)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.102-1-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-6-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-1-pve

I already tried adding rootdelay=10, it does not make any difference.

cat /proc/partitions does show sda partitions as expected.

1682575965751.png

Now that I updated all initramfs (including the old kernel on) It does not boot anymore with 5.13 neither...

Is something missing in the initramfs config? Like some drivers for ext4/lvm2/... ?

Now that I updated all initramfs (including the old kernel on) It does not boot anymore with 5.13 neither...

Is something missing in the initramfs config? Like some drivers for ext4/lvm2/... ?
What does cat /proc/modules; ls /dev give you? What does blkid and lvm pvs tell you?

Yes, you probably are missing modules for your raid controller. What exact model is this?

The server is an HP DL360p G8 with a standard Smart Array P420i controller

Here are /proc/modules

1682582508679.png
1682582532076.png

And listing of /dev

1682582573343.png
1682582598184.png

1682582645231.png

Actually the Raid controller is recognized, because /dev/sdaX are present. It's LVM that does not find the device...

could you post the output of "lvm config" in the initrd? if it's too long to sensibly copy/screenshot, at least the "devices" and "activation" part would be interesting!

Reactions: Chris
1682583914717.png

Oh damn... I found the culprit... A filter was added in lvm.conf because of multipath/iscsi. sdb was added instead of sda...

Sorry and thank you for the help to find the issue.

Attachments

• 1682583927814.png
    1682583927814.png
    108 KB · Views: 37
that was my hunch as well :) great that it works now!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!