PBS compression backup job

Evgenii36ru

Oct 25, 2021
Hi. Need help.

PVE in the section to edit the backup job, I select the PBS server (I select the type - pbs), the compression becomes grayed out and cannot be selected or changed!

1635925493786.png

If I choose a section mounted by cifs (choose type - cifs) compression, you can choose. Is this how it should work?
1635925509182.png

1635925518763.png

1635925523325.png

If I choose a section mounted by cifs (choose type - cifs) compression, you can choose. Is this how it should work?
yes, the backups on pbs are working differently and the normal compression methods do not really apply (pbs saves chunks which are always zstd compressed)

yes, the backups on pbs are working differently and the normal compression methods do not really apply (pbs saves chunks which are always zstd compressed)
ок. Comparing the volume of backups of virtual machines, I see that the copies on PBS are larger than those made with the ZSTD (fast and good) compression. Perhaps I will be mistaken, I will observe further ...

Ок. Comparing the volume of backups of virtual machines, I see that the copies on PBS are larger than those made with the ZSTD (fast and good) compression. Perhaps I will be mistaken, I will observe further ...
How did you compare? The size that is displayed on PBS is not the 'real' size, but the uncompressed undeduplicated size of the images /files

You can't really compare PBS and vzdump backups. PBS backups will be deduplicated saving alot of storage. Lets say you got a 10GB VM that can be compressed down to 5-10 GB depending on the algorithm. If you now do 100 backups of that VM your PBS datastore will only need like 7GB to store that because nothing needs to be stored more than once. If you use vzdump you might get the compression down to 5GB, but because you need to store that 5GB 100 times it will use 500GB and not just the 7GB that PBS would need. So the compression doesn't really matter if you keep more than one backup of every VM.
So PBS is preferable in nearly all cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evgenii36ru
Thank you, I understand.
It turns out that there are no differential copies in PBS, and space is saved due to deduplication. Then how can I plan the required volume for backups I need? in the PBX console I see the full backup volume ...
how to see the actual amount of data occupied?
1635937697737.png

You can't see that for individual VMs. You can only look how fast your PBS datastore is growing (and PBS will also predict in how many days it will be full).

You can't really compare PBS and vzdump backups. PBS backups will be deduplicated saving alot of storage. Lets say you got a 10GB VM that can be compressed down to 5-10 GB depending on the algorithm. If you now do 100 backups of that VM your PBS datastore will only need like 7GB to store that because nothing needs to be stored more than once. If you use vzdump you might get the compression down to 5GB, but because you need to store that 5GB 100 times it will use 500GB and not just the 7GB that PBS would need. So the compression doesn't really matter if you keep more than one backup of every VM.
So PBS is preferable in nearly all cases.

is this also true for backing up files and directories?

is this also true for backing up files and directories?
what do you mean exactly ?
the sizes shown in the content tab in pbs are undeduplicated, uncompressed and not sparse.

what do you mean exactly ?
the sizes shown in the content tab in pbs are undeduplicated, uncompressed and not sparse.
Let's say I have a 10 GB file folder.
Using proxmox-backup-client I set up a backup, will proxmox-backup-client copy the entire folder every time, or will it copy only new and changed files (analogy with rsync)?

Everything that you backup, no matter if it are files, folders or block devices. will get chopped into compressed and deduplicated chunks of data. And this is done on the client side, so it should only send chunks that aren'T already stored in the PBS datastore.

Reactions: Evgenii36ru
Everything that you backup, no matter if it are files, folders or block devices. will get chopped into compressed and deduplicated chunks of data. And this is done on the client side, so it should only send chunks that aren'T already stored in the PBS datastore.
thanks

Hello, I did little test today, made one VM and this is its "df -h":
[root@s01 ~]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 3.9G 12M 3.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root 29G 7.7G 22G 27% /
/dev/vda1 1014M 263M 752M 26% /boot
/dev/vdb1 63G 37G 23G 62% /mnt/ncdata
tmpfs 783M 0 783M 0% /run/user/48
tmpfs 783M 0 783M 0% /run/user/0

1690147902097.png

So we have approx 37G + 7.7G of data which makes cca 45G of data ...
Then I backed this VM up to the PBS .

The Chunks dir was like 65G full ... Is it maybe "too early" to mention compression ? Maybe we need much more VMs, backups / snapshots ....

Thanks

BR

Tonci

if you are doing a VM backup, you have 103G of data that is compressed and deduplicated and only takes up 65G on disk when backed up. VM backups don't know/care about the file system, it works on the block level.. file system usage is just a rough approximation of actual usage on disk (PBS uses 4MB chunks!).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!