[SOLVED] PBS certificate validation fails even with updated fingerprint set

Hi,
yesterday I’ve updated the certificate on PBS with a new self-signed cert (uploaded a proxy.pem containing the cert and the root ca that signed it, I don’t have an intermediate CA on my lab setup) and my PBS backups on PVE started to fail.
Then I remembered that the fingerprint changed and so I’ve updated it in the definition of PBS storage on my PVE.
I’m sure I’ve set the new fingerprint since I’ve checked it both from gui and from CLI:

Bash:
# on PBS
root@ProxmoxBackupServer:~# openssl x509 -in /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem -noout -fingerprint -sha256
SHA256 Fingerprint=35:99:8A:E9:AC:DD:2C:A0:92:D5:B0:61:A9:DC:AA:88:03:72:4C:65:70:C4:95:10:74:CF:EB:29:8E:D5:8E:CC

# Check /etc/pve/storage.cfg
pbs: proxmox-backup-server-sata-2TB
        datastore sata-backup-pbs
        server 10.0.0.5
        content backup
        fingerprint 35:99:8a:e9:ac:dd:2c:a0:92:d5:b0:61:a9:dc:aa:88:03:72:4c:65:70:c4:95:10:74:cf:eb:29:8e:d5:8e:cc
        prune-backups keep-all=1
        username root@pam

Backups keep failing.. what can be the cause? I’ve tried to define a new PBS Storage for testing too and the same happens.. any help?

Bash:
# proxmox-backup-client status --repository "root@pam@10.0.0.5:8007:sata-backup-pbs"
Password for "root@pam": *******
certificate validation failed - context depth != 0
Error: error trying to connect: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:../ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1914:

NOTE: i had to upload my root CA to /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/ and run update-ca-certificates to make it work, thus avoiding the need of fingerprint verification. Thanks to @resoli for pointing me at the solution in this thread. BTW does fingerprint check fail due to the full chain being returned?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!