[SOLVED] PBS backup nothing happening after hours. Only bursts happen.

tetsujin

Mar 13, 2021
I am on:
PVE 6.4
PBS 1.0

I am trying to perform a full backup before I upgrade the PVE and then after the PBS. They are both on there own machines with a 10G link between them so transfers should be decently fast. When I performed the initial backup it took about 6 days on a 1G link for about 35TB. I am only trying to backup about 5TB since its been awhile since I backed up. It's been running for over 24 hours now and the weird thing I noticed is that in the PVE network graph there are large (40min-60min) of no activity going meaning nothing is being read and sent to the PBS and the PBS datastore graphs with transfers backs this up. The question is why is nothing happening? It should be constantly sending data but it hardly sends anything. The command I ran was:
proxmox-backup-client backup friday.pxar:/friday/ --repository root@pam@XXX.XXX.X.XXX:8007:satellite --include-dev /friday/headquarters/
I should have added verbose to see more of what's going on but oh well at this point.

Is there anyway I can monitor something to see what's going on? Is my command wrong? I did notice this on the PBS dmesg:
1626636835804.png
As well as this from my ifconfig lots of packet loss:
1626636882167.png

I want to stop and try again but I don't know if that will make a difference

Edit more information:
When running iostat -xm 10 on the PVE the read usage is really high, like 25MB+ on most of the drives, so something is going on. Could it just be that its taking a long time to read everything to check for changes then when it finds a change it copies it over?

Last edited:
Is there anyway to monitor it? Logs or anything? I know I should have done --verbose but I didn't. Just to have some idea where its at or anything?
You could check the disk io for proxmox-backup-client by using e.g. iotop to see if the io is coming from the backup client.
Also you could debug with strace to see what the client is doing.

You could check the disk io for proxmox-backup-client by using e.g. iotop to see if the io is coming from the backup client.
Also you could debug with strace to see what the client is doing.
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!