Passthrough hardcoded Windows license

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

my host comes with a hardcoded Windows license which is recognized automatically when installing Windows directly on the hardware.

Is it possible to expose the [whatever it is] where the license is installed to a VM so that Windows in the VM would also recognize it and activate automatically?

Thanks

I haven't done that in years, but "in the past", there was the SLIC, which can be extracted and presented also to the VM. It may involve faking a lot of hardware and rebranding them in the guest, but it may work.

The necessary information I used was this:

Code:
    cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC > slic_table
    dmidecode | grep -A8 'System Information' | grep -i UUID | awk '{print $2}'
    dmidecode | grep -A8 'System Information' | grep -i 'serial number' | awk '{print$3}'

The VM configuration has to include this

Code:
smbios1: uuid=AAA...BBB,manufacturer=Dell_Inc.,product=AABBCC,serial=AABBCCDD
args: -acpitable file=/path/to/slic_table

I haven't done that in years, but "in the past", there was the SLIC, which can be extracted and presented also to the VM. It may involve faking a lot of hardware and rebranding them in the guest, but it may work.

The necessary information I used was this:

Code:
    cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC > slic_table
    dmidecode | grep -A8 'System Information' | grep -i UUID | awk '{print $2}'
    dmidecode | grep -A8 'System Information' | grep -i 'serial number' | awk '{print$3}'

The VM configuration has to include this

Code:
smbios1: uuid=AAA...BBB,manufacturer=Dell_Inc.,product=AABBCC,serial=AABBCCDD
args: -acpitable file=/path/to/slic_table

Just try using hosts instead of kvm64 in the vm

Thank you - worked perfectly.

For others that might want to do this as well:

Both lines of dmidecode gave me:

Invalid entry length (16). Fixed up to 11.​
(And some numbers)​
The numbers they gave me looked good anyway (and, more importantly, they worked).

And I replaced "Dell_Inc." with the name of my host's manufacturer. No idea whether that is relevant or not.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!