Passthrough disks to xpenology vm

ontljoshi

Dec 22, 2020
Hi

Have two 1tb disks which I would like to pass through to xpenology vm. I can see the disks in the Proxmox Disks section. But upon using the passthrough guide and attach disks with -sata switch to the xpenology vm disks fail post storage pool and volume creation in xpenology.

Upon trying -iscsi the disks are not visible at all.

so wondering how to passthrough disks to xpenology vm successfully.

Do it the other way around.
Create the physical disk (lun) on the NAS.
Then map that to your PVE host via iscsi.
Once you see the physical representation in the disk of your PVE host you can follow the pass through guide

Last edited:
Oh damn. Please forget everything what I wrote!
I assumed that Synology is an external NAS device which is attached to your PVE environment via iSCSI.
I wasn't aware you can install Synology in a VM...

So this is a VM on PVE. So you are indeed on the right track in my opinion.

Do I get this right that you don't see the disk within the VM?
If that is the case and you were able to install the VM ok, then I assums the SCSI-Controller and disks attached to it are not recognized.
Option 1: switch away from the LSI Controller and use other ones
Option 2: switch the scsi disk to something else which might work better (SATA)

Hey @tburger , thanks for your reply.
well, sorry for the delay in my reply. I have used the -SATA option but when I create a Storage Pool for JBOD and just tried again as per your suggestions. it fails somehow while doing parity check after some time at 0.46% or 0.48% ... don't know why is it failing and don't know what to do.

I know that these are two different drives. is there any way to find out why its failing the parity check and solution to use these two different drives.

awaiting your reply. thanks again.

It shouldnt matter if the drives are different unless they have failed (read/write errors) ;)
I was curious and browsed around abit.
Have come across this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvS0xgBip_w
There you can see which VM config is used somewhere in the middle of the video.
It also mentions that:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13887-dsm-6x-proxmox-backup-template/
Maybe that gets you going.
Hi
thanks, have been using the same guides but when I create the Storage Volume using JBOD it fails to do parity-check that that's what puzzles me.

it there a way to check or test HDDs or figure out how to use this drives without having failure? if this test is successful then I would like to use the 4TB drive I have bought as I can't afford to buy the Synology NAS yet and it's quite costly so I am using my old server and this method.

Last edited:
I have read through the link I have provided.
It seems you need to go for SATA disks as mentioned here:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/1...ackup-template/?do=findComment&comment=107621

and can be seen in the screenshot here:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/1...ackup-template/?do=findComment&comment=110295

Also note that the screenshot refers to an i440fx chipset - not the q35 you are using
Try again with these changes. Good luck!
Hey @tburger thanks for your reply. I have checked the drives I have and seems like they could have a problem hence they are failing. I am trying few things and feel like have no choice to use my 4tb drive in the mean time.

as ran few tests there were some read errors so need to spend time to find out what's the issue with those drives.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!