Passing Though an LSI HBA to VM.

Windows7ge

Sep 12, 2019
I'm looking to pass-though an LSI HBA (the 9207-8i) to a VM. I already have everything configured as far as IOMMU groups, VT-d, enabling IOMMU within Proxmox, etc. It's all ready to go except the fact that Proxmox grabs the HBA when the OS starts and I need it to remain free. The Proxmox documentation outlines how to free it but here's the problem. I have three in the server. They all use the same driver and all have the same Device ID. I only want to pass-though one. The other two are needed on the host.

I do have a script I learned from someone for GPU pass-though purposes which I believe should work here but I don't know if Proxmox will play well with it. It will load the vfio-pci driver into the device based on the slot the card is connected to instead of the Device ID. An example of the script is as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
PREREQS=""
DEVS="0000:03:00.0"
for DEV in $DEVS;
  do echo "vfio-pci" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$DEV/driver_override
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci

This is then saved in:
Code:
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/bind_vfio.sh

The kernel should load. Check the device on PCI_e bus 00.03.00, and load the vfio-pci driver while allowing the other two identical HBAs to load the normal mpt3sas driver.

So here is the question. Can anyone say this should be fine or is there a more proper method of getting the same result because the two options in the documentation are not options here.

As this post was made some time ago, did your configuration work in the end?

As this post was made some time ago, did your configuration work in the end?
It did. I later learned that the vfio-pci driver is designed to be used with basically any hardware device that the host can do without. It's not strictly for GPUs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!