Paravirtualized driver for Windows: block and NIC

OK, I am trying to use the virtio block drivers in my server 2003 web install, however the server isn't even seeing the drive at all, i installed on an ide drive and then restarted and added a virtio
drive to install the drivers on however it never gets detected, what am i doing wrong?

Make sure you shutdown/power off and back on for it to add it.

Andy

I did that multiple times, didn't have any effect. I'll just stick with IDE it's always worked. Thanks though.

I tried VIRTIO HD and NIC, and after some benchmarking on virtio HD, its twice as fast as IDE, quite stunning honestly.

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, VirtIO Disks and VirtIO NIC:

a little review:

on hd tach, ide disks gets an epic rape from a VirtIO, IDE from 107mb/s reading, to 208mb/s to a VirtIO

on the NICs, e1000 over a gigabit port, 2gb file, 16mb/s average
virtio, a stunning 48mb/s

quite impressive.

Brand new iso from PVE 1.5

kernel 2.6.18, surely the most stable i've seen

i was also successful using the guide IDE - VIRTIO from Tom

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!