P2V - Windows Server 2003 - MBR Disk & GUID Disk

ridinhighspeeds

Mar 23, 2011
United States
We have a physical machine that needs to be converted to proxmox. We have converted machines in the past using the VMWare Conversion tool to a vmdk file, then loading the vmdk file into proxmox which worked well. That process seemed to only work for MBR based systems...

One of our oldest systems has a MBR disk AND a GUID disk and we have looked everywhere on how to get this system over to proxmox. To add to the issue, this machine happens to be our largest web server and we have nearly half a TB on this machine so any process needing to be run, needs to be relatively quick. Has anyone had luck converting a physical machine with a MBR disk and a GUID disk? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

I assume no one can copy 500 GB "quick", that seems to be the reason why no one is answering. if you need to be quick, I suggest you install a new system and operate in parallel - depends on your applications and data.

you know this wikipage?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

I assume no one can copy 500 GB "quick", that seems to be the reason why no one is answering. if you need to be quick, I suggest you install a new system and operate in parallel - depends on your applications and data.

you know this wikipage?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

Ignoring the concept of a "quick" migration.., what are your thoughts on migrating a Physical machine with a MBR disk AND a GUID disk?

does it work with clonezilla? try it with a small test VM.

i would install a clean windows2k3 and restore with ntbackup from usb-disk

you could also try with fsarchiver, on sysresccd for example which acts at the filesystem level, but 500 g is always 500 g it will take a bit...

also clean install + some sort of 2-pass rsync from the live system...(first long for the whole thing, the second short for latest updates)

let us know how you end up with this, please...
:)

Marco

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!