p2v of Windows XP with selfimage not working anymore

tafkaz

Dec 1, 2010
Geilenkirchen Germany
Hi everybody,

i am trying to migrate some physical Windows XP machines to VMs...don't ask me why this is needed...it is unfortunately :)
I remember the great easyness to accomplish such tasks on the fly using selfimage, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work anymore.
Maybe you have some hint for me, as using selfimage would really be the ideal solution here.
on the PVE Host i do
Code:
qemu-nbd -t /dev/DATA-GROUP/vm-80001-disk-0 -f raw -p 1024
while on the physical Windows XP machine i get this error:

1603013666794.png

I tried to find something in the net regarding this issue, but to no avail.

I would appreciate any kind of help

thanks
Sascha

clone it via clonezilla and set the hostadapter to ide. should work - if not do a repair installation with the windows xp cd (just install it over the existing one - it will do a repair).
i did this multiple time with win2003/2k and xp

Hi MasterTH,
yes, true. clonezilla would work just fine.
unfortunately this would mean the need of real access to the source.
at this moment we only have remote access to a running machine though, that's why selfimage would turn out just perfect.
no idea how to solve this incorrectly sized header issue?
as i said, i never had these problems when i used that tool in the past.
thanks Sascha

You can try to use other converters like VMware converter or Starwind, but I am not sure if they work with Windows XP.
Note that that wiki guide might be a little outdated. As soon as you have some sort of disk image (vhd(x), raw, ...) you should have won. Proxmox VE can import those using qm importdisk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!