OVF, Proxmox, migration, QNAP Virtual Station

AJ70

Jul 30, 2023
ok, so I've searched the forums for a bit and I probably missed it, but here is what I am attempting to do....

I have a QNAP, TS-973ax, that run virtualization station and my Zimbra mail server. First off, it has an underpowered CPU for this Virtualization station, but I have good disk redundancy. So, I want to move the VM (can be exported as OVF), and migrate to my Proxmox 3-node cluster. They only have 512Gb SSD's, so I need to have them have on a shared LUN/Share whatever you want to call it, just need the best solution.

I did a test setting up a new VM and using iSCSI and could migrate my test machine to any node, no problems.

My problems are, iSCSI doesn't show up on all the nodes, or even one to "import" the VM using the qm importovf as it did when I had CEPH (but after reading this isn't the best solution for what I am looking for). Looks like iSCSI or NFS for the actual VM would be a better fit, but I just don't see the mount points to do a qm importovf to.

What is the best way to bring a OVF file and import into an iSCSI or NFS share from a QNAP running Virtualization Station and getting it imported? I'm sure it's something simple, but I can only find how to do it with CEPH or with local storage (which won't seamlessly migrate to another node).

Feel free to link to another thread if you know where the answer is, I have no problem reading it and figuring out, just kinda hung out on this one right now.

Thanks, AJ

PS. I'm not opposed to ZFS over iSCSI or anything, just looking for a plausible VM migration, don't want to setup an initial install of a new OS, then backup, restore, the Zimbra environment. PIA.

Sorry, I noticed that. I posted checking out of my hotel when discovering my valet parked car was broken into and had to deal with the police filings, hotel, valet company and just got home. When I get done letting the animals out, I’ll delete the first one. I added additional details on this to only find my car had been torn apart. Will delete shortly after kids, dogs and everyone is taken care of. Again, my apologies, life just hit hard all of a sudden.

Two additional things, two make it a perfect date night with my wife, I have one failed drive when I got back home and another that is signaling through DA Analyzer, another drive is in a predictable state of failing soon. Luckily, I’m running raid 6, so I’m safe for now, just a perfect ending for what my wife and I were trying to have a night out at a comedy show in another city.

Sorry guys, but could really use any input on my situation, and not the car theft portion, I got that one. LOL

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!