output video of VM to host's display

Edux123

Nov 28, 2022
Hello,

First I’m a complete noob of proxmox.

My goal is to use macOS ventura on my old iMac late 2013 model that have Intel Core i5 (I5-4570R) with integrated Intel Iris Pro 5200.

I succeded to install macOS with OSX-PROXMOX utility by Luchina Gabriel, VM start and run in vnc mode, but I can’t figure how to passthrough the gpu and output video on integrated monitor. For now when i start the vm the screen simply turn black.

Before share all my setup I want to know if is possible to output the video of my VM to host’s display.

Thank you.

My goal is to use macOS ventura on my old iMac late 2013 model that have Intel Core i5 (I5-4570R) with integrated Intel Iris Pro 5200.

I succeded to install macOS with OSX-PROXMOX utility by Luchina Gabriel, VM start and run in vnc mode, but I can’t figure how to passthrough the gpu and output video on integrated monitor. For now when i start the vm the screen simply turn black.

Before share all my setup I want to know if is possible to output the video of my VM to host’s display.
AFAIU you have only one graphic adapter, you cannot pass through it to a VM. Use spice monitor Easiest solution: use SPICE display which allows to go into full screen mode and you will have the same effect.

Reactions: Edux123
PCI(e) passthrough of the single GPU sometimes possible but requires some work-arounds and it makes troubleshooting problems much harder.
Wanting to passthough to MacOS makes everything even harder. Wanting to passthrough integrated graphics make it even more harder.
Please search the internet for other people having the same hardware and/or the same MacOS VM to find out if it's possible and how they did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edux123

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!