OTRS - Open source Ticket Request System

Bergcube

Mar 8, 2009
Norway
A Virtual Appliance of OTRS would be nice.
I have been using OTRS before, and I'm about to implement it at my current place of work.
I realize RT is a similar system and can do the same things, but I personally like OTRS better.

Regards,
Bjørn Ingmar Berg

Last edited:
I have been using OTRS before, and I'm about to implement it at my current place of work.
I realize RT is a similar system and can do the same things, but I personally like OTRS better.

Regards,
Bjørn Ingmar Berg

yes, both are quite interesting. But same here, we are using RT since 8 years, so we choose RT in a first step as we are familiar with it.

installing rt could be a pain, so the appliance is quite useful here. installing OTRS is easier, so the appliance is not that important - just use a OS template and install the package.

but anyone interested in building OTRS appliance for Proxmox VE? just use 'dab' and do it!

installing rt could be a pain, so the appliance is quite useful here. installing OTRS is easier, so the appliance is not that important - just use a OS template and install the package.

I agree, and it is a good point. But (there is always a "but", right?) the version of OTRS packaged with/for Ubuntu is a few points lower than the current version, and OTRS has had some important upgrades. So a nice side-effect of having OTRS as a virtual appliance would be having the latest version.
Sure, one could start with a general OS image and install OTRS directly "outside" apt. In my experience this is a road that leads to pain, and I rather live with a good and stable but older version from the package system.

but anyone interested in building OTRS appliance for Proxmox VE? just use 'dab' and do it!

Yes, I might look into this. But first I want to learn and understand Proxmox VE well. Can't start too many new things at the same time.

PS: RT tempts me, especially because of the RTFM functionality. But looking at their website I cannot find any translated versions, whereas there is a translation of OTRS. My users would demand a translated helpdesk system.

Just a short note to report the progress on this. At work we have finally made up our minds. We are actually NEITHER going to go for OTRS nor RT. We stumbled over GLPI and after a test-installation found this to be the right solution for us.

Bjørn Ingmar Berg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!