OS Disk Size for Proxmox4

Q-wulf

Mar 3, 2013
my test location
I'm contemplating to stick my Proxmox4 Nodes OS-Partitions on USB3-Sticks (90MB/s|45MB/s ... R|W), as i'm getting rather short on Sata-Ports right now.

Plan:

• Install Debian Jessie

• Configure 2x USb3 Sticks in Raid-1 for OS
  • Upgrade to Proxmox 4
  • Install Ceph on top of it (KVM/LXC Storage)
  • Install FreeNas on top of Ceph (Iso Images / VM-Backups)

How big a Stick do i need for Proxmox4 ?

The wiki does not list any Sizes for jessie.

For wheezy (what i assume is Proxmox 3.4) it said:
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy% Convert
Code:
data pve  -wi-ao 30.69g 
 root pve  -wi-ao  3.72g 
 swap pve  -wi-ao  1.86g
So, how "low" can i go with the "OS-Disk", and not run into complications when e.g. doing Backups. ???

USB sticks are known to die fast, so we do NOT recommend this - please note, a lot of logs are written. if you install Ceph Server, many logs are added.

Using enterprise class Intel SSD (single or ZFS raid1, e.g. Intel DC 3500)) is best practice for the OS.

which USB product do you use here and what are your experiences in the long run?

I'd use 2x SanDisk Ultra 32GB Raid-1 per Node.
They do okay as OS-Disks (been running a Windows OS) for ages on these and use them about anywhere else.

My Problem is, that i don't have ANY Sata Ports left (i already use 16 For OSD's in the machines and do not have any PCI-E slots left for additional expanders.

12 HDD OSD's
4 SSD OSD's

Jerasure Coded Pools for Data
SSD-Pools for KVM-VM's and as Cache-ier for the Jarasure Pools.

Question still is, how much Disk-Space does Proxmox require to run without a hitch ??
-Just Plain OS on Stick
-No Images
-No Vms
-No Backups

Code:
root@gen8:~# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/dm-0       7.1G  2.5G  4.2G  38% /

Code:
# lsblk -d -o name,type,uuid,hctl,model,size /dev/sdf
NAME TYPE UUID HCTL       MODEL             SIZE
sdf  disk      8:0:0:0    TS32GSSD18M-M    30.1G

Be aware that TS32GSSD18M-M is not a "stick". It is a mSATA SSD in a USB/eSATA box. I'm using the USB connection as I don't have SATA/eSATA ports available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!