order kvm network devices

pva00

Apr 20, 2009
Great things your doing with proxmox.

I'm using a KVM which need uses multiple nics through vmbr0 - vmbr3. In the kvm eth0 must be connected through vmbr1 and vmbr0 must be connected through eth1. Within proxmox I cannot change the order of the vmbrX at the hardware tab ethernet devices of my kvm node. Is it possible to have ths feature in the next release

Thanks....

Example:
In my proxmox server I have 4 nics for network a,b,c&d connected to eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3. Proxmox connects vmbr0, vmbr1, vmbr2, vmbr3. So I have:

a --> eth0 --> vmbr0
b --> eth1 --> vmbr1
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2
d --> eth3 --> vmbr3

Now I have a firewall appliance with 4 virtual nics eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3. I can't change the first connention eth0 (IPCOP green interface). Connection must be as follewed:

a --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth2
b --> eth1 --> vmbr1 --> eth1
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth0
d --> eth3 --> vmbr3 --> eth3

But this is not possible I always get:
a --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth0
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth2

So wrong interface connected to the wrong network. I can't change the appliance. So in the futere the order of the virtual nics should be possible in proxmox or I have to do:
c --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth0
a --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth2

And change some other KVM virtual machines their nics....

It is a request for the future no bug....

Example:
In my proxmox server I have 4 nics for network a,b,c&d connected to eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3. Proxmox connects vmbr0, vmbr1, vmbr2, vmbr3. So I have:

a --> eth0 --> vmbr0
b --> eth1 --> vmbr1
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2
d --> eth3 --> vmbr3

Now I have a firewall appliance with 4 virtual nics eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3. I can't change the first connention eth0 (IPCOP green interface). Connection must be as follewed:

a --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth2
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth0

But this is not possible I always get:
a --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth0
c --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth2

So wrong interface connected to the wrong network. I can't change the appliance. So in the futere the order of the virtual nics should be possible in proxmox or I have to do:
c --> eth0 --> vmbr0 --> eth0
a --> eth2 --> vmbr2 --> eth2

And change some other KVM virtual machines their nics....

It is a request for the future no bug....

not sure if I understand what you are doing but on the Proxmox VE you can assign interface to bridges.

e.g. you can assign vmbr0 eth0, eth1, eth2 or eth4

I still don't get it. If you appliance can't order the interfaces you have a problem there.

Anyways, you can always plug the cable to other port, or simply change the vbmrX -> ethY asssignment, or change the device names in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

- Dietmar

We're running IP-Cop happly since about 4-5 years. One problem we recogniced all time was the assignment of the network cards via setup in IPcop.
If you're using instances of the same NetworkICard you finally can't assign them to red/green/etc.) .
It's the same via PVE which we're using for the job since a few months.
We simply re-assigned the interfaces by hand via ipcop's network config file (SSH Login using nano editor).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!