Option to Show VM Bandwith in Kbps / Mbps

Proxmox India

Oct 16, 2017
Bangalore
Bandwith is usually measured in Kbps / Mbps vs MBps
Why not give an option to do this as data transfer is measured in bytes and bandwidth is measured in bits

Where do you observe this?

@Alwin I would also like to see the same option. Proxmox 6 also seems to have messed up the bandwidth graphs, and they're no longer accurate. This wasn't the case in 5.5 before I migrated to 6 - pve-manager/6.0-11/2140ef37 (running kernel: 5.0.21-4-pve). What's accurate is the node search list, as far as totals, but the vm summary no longer shows the traffic correctly (far less than in actuality).

The easiest way to see the difference is going to the Datacenter >> Node: Search view, and enabling netin/out columns. Those values are correct. However, when I go to Datacenter >> Node >> Container >> Summary, or Datacenter >> Node >> Summary, the "Network Traffic" section doesn't show the traffic to justify the numbers in the "Search" view. This was most visible to me when I just moved all my containers over to a new node. Should be easy to reproduce by starting up a new container, and looping downloads of 100MB test files. Most of my container traffic was around 5mbit at the time (not sure if that matters for how the graphs are drawn).

The graph on each CT/VM is not the total netin/netout. The total is the traffic since startup of the CT/VM.

Yes, I already know that. It doesn't change a thing. You can easily test by restarting a VM, running 1-5Mbit traffic for an hour, then compare the average/maximum speeds listed in the VM summary to the netin/netout values. They don't match, no matter how you do the math or compare plotting. netin/out will show high values, while the vm network summary will show close to no traffic recorded. You get what I'm saying? :)

The interval on the graph is one minute and data points are taken every 10 sec. And the graph is in MB, the total is in MiB.
Code:
#client
iperf -t 120 -b 200M <ip>

# server
iperf -s
Try with iperf, the two minute run should show a constant bandwidth. The total should account for the amount passed through by iperf (show stats).

To add, the totals are reset on every change of the interface (eg. firewall on/off).

Would be nice to find abusers if you offering VPS Services to customers.

But until its implemented or thought of as an option to implement note you guys can use something like:

Virtualizor
Modulesgarden Proxmox Addon(If using WHMCS)

We using Virtualizor currently and not sure how they calculate it but it seems to work well. They probably dump the traffic between start and stops and just keeping adding them up for total between a certain period.

The interval on the graph is one minute and data points are taken every 10 sec. And the graph is in MB, the total is in MiB.
Code:
#client
iperf -t 120 -b 200M <ip>

# server
iperf -s
Try with iperf, the two minute run should show a constant bandwidth. The total should account for the amount passed through by iperf (show stats).

To add, the totals are reset on every change of the interface (eg. firewall on/off).

Thanks for explaining the bandwidth measurements. I was off due to that seems like.

Would be nice to find abusers if you offering VPS Services to customers.

But until its implemented or thought of as an option to implement note you guys can use something like:

Virtualizor
Modulesgarden Proxmox Addon(If using WHMCS)

We using Virtualizor currently and not sure how they calculate it but it seems to work well. They probably dump the traffic between start and stops and just keeping adding them up for total between a certain period.

Do you prefer Virtualizor over Modulesgarden? I was thinking of grabbing the Modulesgarden WHMCS addon to resell easier but Virtualizor seems cheaper.

Seriously, the solution is to download and pay for another control panel to run on top of Proxmox? Why am I paying a Proxmox subscription then? It's 8 months since this was posted how is it not fixed?

Why am I paying a Proxmox subscription then?
The subscription is for updates through the enterprise repository and if the subscription includes it, then also enterprise support through our support portal. This subscription does not include any performance monitoring tooling. This is usually done with a separate software (eg. icinga, zabbix, ...).

It's 8 months since this was posted how is it not fixed?
What should be fixed? In any case, feature requests can be added to our bugzilla.
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!