OPNsense not getting WAN IP

Nov 26, 2023
I'm switching over from an Omada router to OPNsense. I have it installed as a virtual machine with Proxmox. LAN seems to be working fine, but I can't get a WAN IP address.

I don't believe that my ISP requires that I provide them with the new mac address because I've switched routers in the past without issue, but I called just in case. They were not helpful and wouldn't provide any information.

What I've tried:
  • Spoofing the mac address with the one from my old router
  • Turning on/off private IP addresses
  • Turning on/off bogon IP addresses
  • Overriding MTU
  • Resetting modem and waiting 30 minutes
  • Turning on/off Ipv6 DHCP
  • Installing PFsense instead (same issue)
I have two NICs on my machine. Four containers and one VM work fine and are connected to vmbr0. My network config in proxmox is:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual
#left

iface enp1s0 inet manual
#right

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.72.10/24
        gateway 192.168.72.1
        bridge-ports enp2s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#left, LAN

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#right, WAN

I ran a packet capture through OPNsense on the WAN port and the only thing I see is a bunch of DHCP requests being sent out. My modem (CM1200) has no errors. It logs a "DHCP non-critical field invalid in response" error every time it reboots, but it does that no matter what router I use. Bridge mode is not applicable for my modem.

There was one point for about ten minutes that I got it to come on a few days ago and everything was fine, but then the IP address was lost and I haven't been able to get it back. I'm not sure how to figure out if this is a problem with my network or a problem with my Proxmox configuration, or what troubleshooting steps to do at this point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!