[SOLVED] OPNsense keeps crashing

Thanks for explanation!
So in my case I guess this is not necessary?
Left column I guess what describe how much file descriptors are currently open?

Thanks for explanation!
So in my case I guess this is not necessary?
Left column I guess what describe how much file descriptors are currently open?
Well, it might be when using more queues, that is the question. The initial error message you posted clearly mentions
Code:
kvm: virtio_bus_set_host_notifier: unable to init event notifier: Too many open files (-24)

Well, it might be when using more queues, that is the question. The initial error message you posted clearly mentions
Agreed.
So what would be the best approach to enhance the file descriptors? Or is it a trial & error approach?

I finally found the time to try out your initial config (but used an existing Debian instead of OPNsense) and I already reach 744.

Agreed.
So what would be the best approach to enhance the file descriptors? Or is it a trial & error approach?
Well, doubling the number should already get you a long way. I'd still keep it reasonable and go for something like 2x-5x the current limit, limits are there for a reason after all ;)

I finally found the time to try out your initial config (but used an existing Debian instead of OPNsense) and I already reach 744.

Well, doubling the number should already get you a long way. I'd still keep it reasonable and go for something like 2x-5x the current limit, limits are there for a reason after all ;)
What would be the proper command to do so?

Should I create a new .conf file with parameters? If so which parameter(s) I should add?
You can either create a new one in the limits.d or edit /etc/security/limits.conf. The format for a new one is the same as in that file.

You can either create a new one in the limits.d or edit /etc/security/limits.conf. The format for a new one is the same as in that file.
But must I increase soft and/or hard limits?
Sorry but I usually don't configure this that's why I am asking.

But must I increase soft and/or hard limits?
Sorry but I usually don't configure this that's why I am asking.
Soft limit is enough, the hard limit is very high by default already.

Doubling everything seems to solve the problem also.
My configuration now includes queue=8 again and the VM didn't crash.

Question is why was it running with PVE7.x while PVE8 needs some manual config changes.

Doubling everything seems to solve the problem also.
My configuration now includes queue=8 again and the VM didn't crash.

Question is why was it running with PVE7.x while PVE8 needs some manual config changes.
QEMU might've changed internal things and uses more file descriptors now. And the OPNSense update might've changed interaction with QEMU and the host too. Likely, you were already near the limit before, but didn't quite hit it.

Reactions: showiproute

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!