openvz / lxc

kamanita

Apr 26, 2010
Hello,

we just had setup two proxmox 1.5 ve servers and are very happy with it. but now we wan't to go from testing to stable with it. but there is a question we don't found any clear answer for it. we use debian 5 and ubuntu 8.04 openvz containers. but now we wan't to upgrade to ubuntu 10.04. that is not possible at the moment because 10.04 doesn't support openvz anymore we suggest. as we read in the forum. lxc is planned in future releases of proxmox. is this right? will there be an openvz to lxc migration option in future releases? is there any mmh timeline for that? we need this informations to communicate this to our team leaders.

thanks dirk

There is no fixed plan or a fixed schedule. But you can expect a reasonable migration path in this case.

I also really hope of future release with lxc as our favorite distro SUSE doesn't support openvz anymore too.

Proxmox VE is a distribution and cannot be installed on top of other distributions. No rule without exception: Debian Lenny 64

No; running Debian derivate as hypervisor is fine, I meant the support for Guests is going worse, if I read right, not just with Suse...

My point is that all you need is proxmox as the developers support a system to run open-vz and kvm . you can google for more info on open-vz and lxc . and trust Tom's comment: "But you can expect a reasonable migration path in this case. " .

We used to use vservers . open-vz is just as good for our needs [better as it is part of proxmox] . I've tried lxc but it is not yet ready for non super-technical users like me.

SUSE is great for a lot of things, but try to run containers [be they lxc or open-vz ] and KVM at the same time.
I look at proxmox as a sort of distribution to run virtual machines.

SUSE, Debian and Proxmox all have GNU/Linux in common . [ as do many other computer software systems].

yes, as I said ;-)

Still the Guests are becoming worse and worse...

e.g. you don't get openvz templates for openSUSE 11.3 anymore, and upgrade from 11.1 to 11.3 works but you get some dependencies issues...

Last edited:
yes, but doesn't mean, we can use CentOS/Fedora RPM's

true,

the difference with Debian is that you can upgrade to the next release with out reinstalling the system. Suse is great, but I switched from rpm based systems to deb ones due to "Dependency hell" . see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell

i respect that you like Suse. it is well designed to run servers like ldap, which is hard to setup in Debian [ for me ].

however upgrades can be tough.

zypper dup works fine, but still it doesn't support it officially anymore...

(I run suse 11.3 on all my new vpses, install template 11.1 and distro upgrade to 11.3)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!